Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN and BYU in negotiations for new TV deal
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: ESPN and BYU in negotiations for new TV deal
(02-09-2019 01:01 PM)esayem Wrote:  The Mountain West grew too quickly when Utah left.

No, they didn't. Here's what happened:

June 2010 -- Utah accepts invitation from Pac-10. Boise State accepts invitation from MWC.

August 2010 -- BYU agrees to Karl Benson's idiotic scheme that ended up destroying the WAC. The plan was to have BYU leave the MWC, become indy in FB, and join the WAC for all other sports, and part of the plan was to lure UNLV and SDSU to move back to the WAC as well. The MWC blew up the plan by getting Nevada and Fresno State to leave the WAC for the MWC. (BYU didn't get burned, they left the MWC anyway, as we know.)

November 2010 -- TCU accepts invitation from Big East. (Of course TCU ended up moving to the Big 12 and not the Big East.)

December 2010 -- Hawai'i accepts football-only invitation from MWC.

December 2011 -- Boise State and SDSU announce they will join Big "East". That leaves the MWC with 7 full members, 8 for football.

May 2012 -- SJSU and Utah State accept invitations from MWC.

December 2012 -- Boise State tells the Big East to forget it and remains in the MWC.

January 2013 -- SDSU finally decides to remain in the MWC.

The MWC invited Boise when Utah left. They invited Nevada and Fresno to blow up Benson's scheme to raid the MWC. They invited Hawai'i to get a 10th football team after TCU left. They invited SJSU and USU because they were down to 7 full members after Boise and SDSU announced they were leaving. I suppose we could second guess choosing SJSU instead of UTEP, but I don't see what's wrong with any of the other moves.
02-09-2019 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN and BYU in negotiations for new TV deal - Wedge - 02-09-2019 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.