Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
(07-05-2023 03:19 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  But one can't have a conversation as to whether cutting DEI initiatives in K-12 will be effective at addressing funding issues in K-12 if we aren't operating on the same foundation of fact - either related to the prevalence of DEI initiatives nor the cost. Seriously, how does the conversation go when the foundation for #'s statement, as he said, is based on a "guess" is that each school has someone dedicated to DEI. It's effectively a hypothetical!

Underlying and foundational facts are critical, and fundamental, to having an informed conversation. So if someone jumps in with a foundation built on an perception (and potentially not reality) the conversation can't really go much further because there is a disconnect between the two participants.

Sorry, but to have a good conversation between friends, details still matter.

Do you have facts and details to counter his? Aren't you similarly making a 'guess' that they don't? But more, aren't you still ignoring that DEI was only PART of what he spoke about? It doesn't have to be at every school to represent meaningful dollars.

Details CAN matter... depending on what is being expressed. As I said, if I say 'its hot' and you want to argue about my perception, then arguing whether it was 96 with 88% humidity or 100 with 72% or 92 with 99% can matter... If instead you want to accept that ALL of those are 'generally accepted' to fit the definition of 'hot', then the details are immaterial.

That's how I most often see comments about budget cutting... ESPECIALLY when NONE of us remotely HAVE any of those details that you think are so important. So since details are important, please tell me how much money has been spent so far in 2023 on DEI initiatives in HISD, including overhead and training? My guess is that you have no idea at all, because I have no idea at all either.... but I DO know that in corporate arenas, such things can be quite meaningful... involving numerous salaried positions and legal/compliance time as they review all company policies and procedures... and then develop and implement training.... so with that background... I don't think the presumption that between this and the OFT-cited 'over-administration' of schools (a charge most often levied by left-leaning teachers themselves) that 'lots of money could be saved'.

So I have no details here... and yet my postulate (taking Numbers' position for the moment) is still absolutely valid.... and you can disagree with me, while still having none of those details yourself.

Said more simply... your apparent belief that 'not much' can be saved is backed by the absolute same amount of details that his belief is... EXCEPT for the part that he added that you repeatedly ignore that has been in the common vernacular/generally accepted fact for best I know, decades now... and that is the idea that there is lots of waste in many/most school administrations and overhead.... and the belief by many that DEI is just/mostly another waste of educational dollars.

I don't think many/any on here have the idea that DEI as a concept is in any way a bad thing... most of us attended Rice at a time when diversity of thought, opinion and perspective was part of the acceptance criteria... OO has often referred to getting a vastly different perspective from the first person from small-town Texas, regardless of race or gender... than from the 7th black female at Bellaire or St John's. Athletics as a whole has brought significant diversity to Rice University for many of those same factors. The 'best' athlete from small town Texas or Oklahoma vs the 14th best athlete from one of Katy's multiple 5+A high schools... etc...

The issue is instead what currently constitutes DEI... where 'being different' is not just something to accept, but instead is something to be celebrated... while 'being the same' is not. There is a difference between celebrating 'being who you are', and only celebrating 'being different'.... Especially when it comes to kids... who often seek affirmation in every event. SOME people are happy and comfortable being part of the boring majority... regardless of what constitutes a majority.
07-06-2023 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:17 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - chrisc - 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:18 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:03 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread - Hambone10 - 07-06-2023 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.