Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
(04-12-2023 06:15 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(04-12-2023 03:20 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  Dude. No. There is nothing shady about Crow being generous to Thomas. I literally never implied that. I implied that Thomas directing the museum people to call his benefactor about this project isn't a great look when it comes to my personal (am I crazy) expectations for how a Supreme Court justice does things.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.
Crow giving Thomas a high value vacation REEKS of 'swamp', but you have not in any way implied that there is anything shady? The 'building' came up later.

Be serious.

Be serious? I don't consider it shady for a political operative to potentially buy influence by showering gifts on somebody in a position of power. It's what they do. It's like being mad at a lion for eating a gazelle. I'm not mad at the lion. That's why I don't think Crow was being "shady". I think Thomas was crossing an ethical boundary that he shouldn't have crossed if the reporting was correct.

Quote:Are you saying that he probably gave 5m to R's and conservatives and 10m to D's and liberals? I doubt that.

Quote:But your doubt isn't evidence. At least I'm putting forth evidence (which is absolutely not dispositive). It seems logical that if he'd given $10mm to conservatives that they would have said that instead of saying he gave $5mm. It also seems logical if they said he gave $5mm to conservatives and $10mm in total, that the other $5mm went somewhere OTHER than to conservatives. That doesn't mean liberals... hence I didn't say it did... but it certainly is easy to infer that it wasn't 'conservatives'

Using my context clues I'm still going to doubt that the breakdown was $5m conservatives and $10m liberals. Neither one of us has definitive evidence but I'll go with the context clues on this one. Who knows? Maybe it was $10m to Nazis. 05-stirthepot

Quote:
Quote:Oh and as I thought... the disclosure riles we're talking about DO apparently apply directly to congress as well... So yes... swampity swamp swamp to use the accusation for political gain but leave the loophole in place. We can guess as to 'why', but I think its pretty clear.

I don't know what you are saying here.

Quote:Seriously?

I'm implying that congress doesn't want to change the disclosure rules because they want to keep taking the same advantage of the rules they wrote. AKA SWAMP!!

Sure, they want to get mileage out of innuendo and accusations about 'whomever' the other side is, but they don't want to actually SOLVE the issue.

As I said, it is currently Dems doing this, but reps don't want to change it either.

Trump literally ran on this.... very openly and clearly.... meaning lots of people agree with this. Dave Chappell talks a lot about it.... and I believe he said 'a star was born' when he did so. That's how common and well known this is.

Quote:and if you look at his collections... the 'tangible' gifts to Thomas seem right in line... and before you start with the 'nazi' accusations, apparently his mother sirvived the sinking of the first British ship by the Nazi's in WW2. Seems odd that he would somehow 'celebrate' them. I get that most people would avoid such stuff, but best I can tell, the guy is having trouble finding ways to spend his children's inheritance.

The Nazi stuff is completely a sidenote and unrelated to Thomas. I only referenced it because it is such a bizarre/interesting side note..

Quote:You say this, but then you say...

Quote:To the bolded, am I'm mostly joking here so no offense intended. But this guy is SO RICH that he literally has collected EVERYTHING and now he's pretty much obligated to buy Nazi regalia? He has completed the his set of PSA 10 First Edition Pokemon cards and the next logical avenue is fascist paraphernalia?

At what net worth does one HAVE to buy Nazi stuff? 1.5b? Can we assume Jeff Bezos has a badass collection of Hitler paintings displayed at his mansion?

No idea, and neither do you. You probably don't know a FRACTION of what these people own.... and nobody said he was obligated to do anything.

Ummmm... but I know he owns a bunch of Nazi stuff and displays it proudly in his home. This is based on reports from people who have visited his house. You can look it up. IDK. Maybe they are all lying to make Clarence Thomas look bad.

Quote:There is a market for all sorts of things that there probably shouldn't be. Like it or not, Hitler is a notable historical figure... and his paintings are very rare. Unlike you and me, his money probably has a 'perpetual' timeline... and who knows what that will be worth in 100 years.

Yeah... got it. I've been a degenerate collector of things for about 40 years so I understand the collectibles market and the bizarre objects that have a thriving market.

I also understand perpetual timelines and rare art.

It is laughable, though, truly laughable that you are lecturing me as to the reasons that this rich guy may want to invest in Hitler art. Like, bro... buy a Christopher Wool for your kids. You've got the money. There are A LOT of artists that will hold value for generations going forward. It doesn't HAVE to be Hitler art. I mean... are you serious.

Not to mention, if you think Hitler art is simply the best place to put your great-grandkid's inheritance then park that s*** in a storage unit and maybe not prominently display it in your house next to the Nazi regalia unless you want to scare off all polite society.

Quote:

OK... so if it is actually about money to him then maybe it's the opposite of "so rich he's bought everything BUT Nazi ragalia". Maybe he wants/needs MORE money and he's making sure that he's got the Nazi sector covered when it comes to a well-rounded portfolio. Maybe.

Quote:The fact that you leave no room for any possible rational argument but your own is telling... and don't say that the above is you being serious. You clearly aren't.

Quote:So again... more of an investment and less of a personal obsession. Makes sense. Historical artifacts can be a pretty safe investment.

I wonder if he knows that there are fancy storage units where rich people store valuable art/artifacts? You don't actually have to display them in your home!
The stuff I've read makes it seems that his house is full of Nazi stuff and the backyard has statues of various historical fascists. Interesting and f***ing bizarreamundo.

What would your wives/girlfriends say if you went to your buddy's house for a dinner party and it is full of Nazi uniforms on display and paintings by Hitler? "Ahhh... this guy... he's just got so much money he's running out of things to spend on!"?

It's crazy!

So you've been to his house. Good to know.

As I said... I've read some accounts of his house. Hitler paintings, relics with swasticas, Mein Kampf. Displayed without context.

Look... I'm not saying that this guy is a Nazi. I would very much doubt that. I'm just saying it's bizarre!
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2023 08:40 PM by Rice93.)
04-12-2023 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:17 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - chrisc - 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:18 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:03 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread - Rice93 - 04-12-2023 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.