Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
(12-21-2022 04:18 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Her standing was effectively protesting against the decision by the team based on what she said (how she disagreed with BLM - it's not like she was ambivalent and uninformed). I see a distinction without a difference in saying she wasn't protesting vs she was protesting against the team's decision to kneel.
The clear difference is the coercive nature of the act.... and the threat/actions of retaliation to enforce the coercion. If the team had decided to do something and she had decided not to and there were no consequences, that is free will. The distinction there is MONUMENTAL.

As to the opinion... it is not a protest to do what you think is correct, unless you are trying to make a public statement against the norm. By your definition, deciding not to join your friends in jumping off a bridge is protesting bridge jumping.

Another difference is, we only know what she thinks of BLM because she was punished. You are suggesting that everyone who stands is protesting against BLM... which as I said, sort of goes to OO's point about how since everyone is standing again, they must believe that the issuse BLM was pointing out are solved??

(12-21-2022 05:07 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 04:26 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 12:56 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 10:47 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  "Hening’s attorney, Cameron Norris, said Adair took four substantial actions against his client in retaliation for her refusal to kneel. Norris said she was berated during the halftime of the UVA game, benched during the second half, was criticized later during a team meeting, and had playing time cut during the next two games.

Hening contends she supports social justice initiatives but does not believe in the BLM organization's mission statement, which includes defunding police and criticizing the nuclear family framework, her lawsuit argues."

edit: I'm not sure how you read that and don't takeaway that she wasn't protesting. Yes, she was protesting something different than Kaepernick, which you do touch on. In both instances you have athletes protesting something during the national anthem, and both were punished for said protest.

It should be pretty clear why I don't read it as her protesting... or 'don't take away that she wasn't protesting'?? Because she specifically didn't protest during the anthem. She didn't 'not kneel' to protest her team-mates... she didn't engage in protest at all, DURING THE ANTHEM. She did not engage in a compelled protest and was punished for NOT engaging in protest.

Seems pretty clear to me, too.

Lad, why are you trying so hard to frame not participating in a protest as protesting?

She, by not protesting, is protesting the other protesting. Or somefink. SO how does one counter- counter protest the counter protester who is protesting by not protesting? Do you not not protest?

If she simply doesnt want to protest, and not protest the protest by not protesting, how does she achieve the goal of simply not protesting?

My brain hurts now, and I think I am getting a nosebleed from the circular vortex that is occurring.

But, an AHA!! moment.... by that measure, whenever I see a BLM march, I should sit my ass on the curb next to it and quaff a beer. Since that will be protesting that protesting.

Apparently watching a parade is protesting it. I guess you have to march in it to not be protesting them.

(12-21-2022 06:42 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Im perplexed at the dug in heels that she wasn’t protesting this request, as if she stood around blissfully unaware that the entire team was going to do an action that she intentionally would not be doing.

I’ll note that this is another great encapsulation of the Quad - all of us agree on the main issue here (the improper retaliation by the coach) but here we are arguing quite vigorously.

I find the 'here we are arguing quite vigorously'.... only one of us is arguing. The rest of us are all in agreement. So are we protesting your position or are you protesting ours?? Is every disagreement 'protest'? I protest that belief, I guess.

Yes, she is fully aware that the team had been told to protest and that she had decided not to... which would have been her action, regardless of their choice. Me getting up and going to work is not a protest of my kids sleeping in this morning.... even though I knew they intended to do it and I chose not to join them.

This DOES make a little sense to me though... as to how/why the left is so aggressive against those who don't support them.... and how someone speaking about 'males can't give birth' are being aggressive and promoting violence. Truly twisted logic
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2022 10:06 AM by Hambone10.)
12-22-2022 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:17 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - chrisc - 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:18 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:03 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread - Hambone10 - 12-22-2022 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.