Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread
(02-04-2022 09:42 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(02-04-2022 09:33 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(02-04-2022 09:21 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(02-04-2022 09:06 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(02-04-2022 08:28 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  In the names I've seen bandied about as a potential Justice, there are a number of black women who check all of these boxes and appear to be eminently qualified for the position. That fact right there is one reason I don't have the same immediate aversion to Biden's proclamation about the pool from which he is picking his candidate.

It's the principle of the thing. I am quite sure if the field were limited to white males there would be several who would "appear to be eminently qualified", but I think in that case you would be opposed to the racial/sexual filters, even to the point of calling them racist.

As I said earlier, when it comes to principles, the Left seems to be more situational than the Right. The right says it is wrong to pick on racial/sexual grounds. The Left says it is OK, in certain circumstances, such as trying to make up for being ignored 50-250 years ago.

I'd be against that because white men are well represented on the bench - Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Roberts, and Alito will all be on the bench when Breyer retires. So how could one argue that limiting choices to a white man would help add to the racial diversity of the bench?

I didn't argue that. I don't think racial diversity n the bench is important. I think having jurists who will interpret the laws fairly and impartially according to what is in the laws is important, and Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Roberts, and Alito fit that bill. What i argued was that with those or any other racial/sexual limits, there would be some in the pool who were eminently qualified, which you suggested made the racial/sexual limiting OK. Turns out that for you it is only OK with certain races and/or sexes.
Good example of principles being situational for Leftists.

Quote:I've been talking about the benefits I see with adding more race/gender diversity, so how in the heck would adding another white guy fall in line with that? You clearly aren't actually reading what I've written if you didn't realize how odd that comment was.

I'm reading what you are posting. Just don't agree with it. In principle, I think limiting the field according to race or sex is wrong, and you seem to think it is OK if the race is black and the sex is female. I think you are pursuing the wrong goals.

Quote:And once again, you're accusing me of wanting to call someone racist...

Where?

Where? Did you not type "but I think in that case you would be opposed to the racial/sexual filters, even to the point of calling them racist."

Your post is all over the place. You told me that I would be opposed to racial/sexual filters - I explained that the issue I would have with your hypothetical is that those filters are not being used in a way that makes them appropriate. They're only appropriate, IMO, if they enhance the diversity of the bench.

This is a really odd back and forth here, where you seem to be intentionally misrepresenting a really easy and simple opinion of mine so you can try and yell about how I'm only OK with this kind of selection for black women. At least you were closer to the mark when you said it was OK with certain races and/or sexes (which clearly makes sense, as it's only something I'm advocating for to enhance diversity on the bench).

We have different view points about the benefits of having a diverse bench in regards to race/gender. It's as simple as that, and that's an OK disagreement to have.

So you would not call limiting the search to white men racist? Good to know. Sorry I thought that you would think that was racist. So it is OK?

Certainly we disagree on the diverse bench. I think it is more important to have good experienced fair judges than ones of a certain race or sex. And won't the selection of another black slew the racial representation to where it is not proportional? Will we need to limit the next selection to bisexuals so that we get a 4.5-4.5 sexual split?

I think having racial or sexual requirements for jobs is wrong, whether the job is ER nurse or Supreme Court Justice. Do you also think we need limit the search for ER nurses to Asian men? They are very underrepresented.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2022 09:54 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
02-04-2022 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:22 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-13-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:17 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:36 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - chrisc - 10-06-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:18 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 11:03 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court Thread - mrbig - 10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: Rice Quad Supreme Court / Legal Decisions Thread - OptimisticOwl - 02-04-2022 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.