Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA hits Missouri with post-season bans, other sanctions
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: NCAA hits Missouri with post-season bans, other sanctions
(02-04-2019 11:53 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  Sorry about the formatting:

From JRsec

What's this? A 10 year old troll? Missouri didn't head to the Big 10 because they weren't invited. The reason they weren't invited is because you don't buy the cow when you are getting the milk for free which is exactly why Kansas won't be invited either. Neither of them add enough value to the Big 10 to be invited. And part of that reason is because the Big 10 already penetrates the state markets of both. So what if they don't get the in state rate. They get enough that inviting them isn't their best option.

My response:

I won't argue that the B1G may not invite KU (and didn't Mizzou) or that either (or both) did not bring whatever the B1G thought "valuable", but I would argue that it's NOT because the B1G already penetrate the state markets of both.

Since Nebraska left the B12, there is little Nebraska coverage in KC. Most all is KU, Mizzou, and K-State. The KC tv market doesn't include any Nebraska counties and given the locations of Omaha & Lincoln TV stations, just the areas served by those (which include very small areas and very small populations in "remote" parts of Kansas & Missouri) are the only possible "Big10" areas. While Nebraska was in the B12 they were of course covered because they were in the same league as KU & MU, but coverage was even then predominately KU & MU. But now that NU is "gone", so is their coverage in KC, at least. The next closest B1G school to KC (after Nebraska) is Iowa...and has NEVER been covered in KC to any extent.

When I have been in the KC Metro area, I have seen few signs of Nebraska. In my rough (and unscientific) estimate looking for window decals/bumper stickers/license plate holders, etc., I see about 40% KU, 30% MU, 15% KSU and 15% various (UMKC, Missouri State, and various other schools including other B1G & B12 schools mainly.)

I can't speak for the St.Louis area as I don't know how much coverage UofI receives/d in St.Louis.

As to KU, the B1G may (or has) decided that's it's just too small a market to begin with and/or what KU offers (presently of course, basketball only) is not what they "need". With MU, I think the B1G thought they would "always" be available when/if the B1G wanted them and were blind-sided when the SEC took them.

In any event, I think though the B1G obviously may have/had their reasons for not inviting KU and MU, the premise that the B1G somehow penetrates Kansas & Missouri was/is NOT the reason, in my opinion.
The B1G sold out by inviting Nebraska. They chose a national brand and turned their back on their own academic standards. They could have invited all three... Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas and locked down the midwest. Like the Pac 12, they simply had no foresight. Missouri is happy. and Kansas will be fine.
02-05-2019 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NCAA hits Missouri with post-season bans, other sanctions - USAFMEDIC - 02-05-2019 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.