Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will the lack of P5 opponents hurt B1G playoff chances in 2019?
YES
NO
[Show Results]

2019 Big Ten football schedule: softest EVER?
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: 2019 Big Ten football schedule: softest EVER?
(01-26-2019 02:34 PM)cubucks Wrote:  I apologize if this is the case, JRsec. When you said "You numb nuts" after stating I misstated, I felt I was included.

I truly respect a lot of folks on here and I'm always up for a good debate.

Again, sorry if I misspoke to you or anybody else.

I think you are a fine poster and no I wasn't referencing you. I was referencing the drive by, must not have followed the tenor of the thread, anti-SEC anti South spew of Fighting Muskie.

If he had read the thread he would have directed his comments to the ACC posters. If he had read the thread he would have realized I supported the Big 10's position on this.
Why did I respond? Because these kinds of posts misdirect the whole discussion of a thread, confuse the readers, and create needless problems. He had a pet peeve, thought he saw an opportunity to spout off, took it, and didn't bother to see if it was in order in this thread. Stopping stuff like that is a pet peeve of mine.

I would think that the Athletic Departments of the Big 10 schools would prefer to keep 7 home games as well. The problem in the SEC is that when we schedule other P5's the networks push for an early season neutral site game to hype it. We would much rather play a home and home like Auburn had scheduled with Clemson, Washington, now Oregon, and soon Penn State. With neutral site games both schools lose a home date, and with it revenue, unless the networks guarantee a large enough payout to cover that loss. It's all business. The Big 12 plays a round robin only because they just have 10 schools. Their CCG is a guaranteed redo and really needless. And as I've stated earlier I'm perfectly happy playing all P games and playing all conference games in the regular season. It would lend an air of intrigue to the CFP and season ending bowls. What it wouldn't do is give networks a talking point to pick who they wished for ratings over the champions of the conferences.

BTW: Even when the University earns more with a neutral site game we still take a hit. Local merchant's despise them and they have long been some of the most ardent supporters of the Athletic Department. One early season loss at a neutral site game can kill their business for the Fall in terms of licensed merchandise sales, especially if we have a second loss by the 4th or 5th game. They love to open with a cupcake and have a big game in week 3. That virtually assures them of a good year's sales no matter how the rest of the season plays out. But even if we win that neutral site game they still might suffer the effects of a down sales year if we only had a 6 home games. Eight conference games gives us flexibility to have neutral site games and keep 7 home games on the schedule. It's the A.D.'s way of trying to please everyone, the networks, local merchants, fans, and coaches.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2019 02:57 PM by JRsec.)
01-26-2019 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019 Big Ten football schedule: softest EVER? - JRsec - 01-26-2019 02:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.