Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
(12-20-2018 07:12 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:No, giving an auto-bid to a G5 means a P5 team doesn't make the playoffs. Every year.

That is a big cost, at least a lot bigger than history tells us a P5 champ would miss the playoffs under straight 8.

A straight-8 would be worse. At least if you said All P5 Champs get in, you at least have a P5 from every conference in, every single year. Straight-8 means you would have a P5 *without Any* teams in. That's worse than not having your 2nd or 3rd place team in, who'd be at the BOTTOM anyway, which a Nat Champ playoff is not focused on.

My scheme of an 8-team playoff would run the risk of a P5 Champ or it's highest ranked Not getting in. But not this year. You'd have to go all the way back to 2010*, where the (then different) ACC had it's champ at #13. Although with my scheme it could allow #13, instead of #12 due to following suit with the #16-BCS rule for a G5, with 10 teams in the BCS (slightly > 50% more down the line). So then you'd only have 2 ACC teams not getting in since 2003, when the ACC was pretty different anyway.

But if you're a P5, and you don't have your Conf Champ in the Top 12 or 13 -- and you don't have ANY team in the Top 8 -- where in my scheme you wouldn't get a team -- Sorry. We agree that 4-team playoff doesn't care about P5 or G5 tweaks, and IMO, it'd take 12 teams to do that Unconditionally, even in WTF years. :)

*Not counting 2012 where there was an undefeated Ohio State who got barred from post-season + unranked Wisconsin in their place of B1G Championship, upsetting #12 Nebraska to push them down to #16. NCAA Legal violations. Can't "count" that as a legit being-left-out.

Personally, i don't care if P5 champs get in or not, i want the best 8 getting in, so far as we can tell that.

But as i said, even if you do care, only one time in the past 5 years has even one P5 champ missed out, the PAC champ this year. The B1G champ has missed the CFP the last 3 years but would have made it every year under straight 8.

And heck, with straight 8, even the PAC would have had 5 playoff teams over that time, because they would have had 2 in 2014.

So there appears to be very little risk to the P5. To me that small risk is a price well worth paying to get the highest ranked teams in.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 07:32 PM by quo vadis.)
12-20-2018 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - quo vadis - 12-20-2018 07:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.