Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
(12-20-2018 05:01 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:It's not completely new, but it's also not exactly the same. 8 is not the same as 4 or 12. And 5/8 or 6/8 is not the same as 5/12 or 6/12.

It doesn't have to be, by any means. It is exactly the same general situation of the issue in question: "Hey, Mr Important was on the bubble and he didn't get in to X," where X is a bowl, a good bowl, a BCS bowl, a Top 2 bowl for #1-4 for a shot at nat championship, or for an actual playoff spot.

In this case though, Mr Important will have a voice in the negotiation of what the system looks like.

Quote:In an 8-team playoff, making a "NY6" bowl is devalued. So Notre Dame is competing for one of two or three spots. That's a big difference.

Not much different than trying to get in a 4-team playoff where everyone's an "at-large". Notre Dame can't say "Hey, if it's US, we get a conditional auto-bid too, like a conference champ if we're not in the Top 4 -- make it so it's the case if we're in the Top 12 too -- even though we didn't play an extra game against a formidable opponent to solidify our ranking comparatively!" [/quote]

Except there was a time, when Notre Dame had more clout than they do now, that they DID get automatic inclusion in the New Years festivities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Coalition

Notre Dame doesn't swing the bat they swung in 1992, and they made an arrangement with the ACC and the ORange Bowl.

Quote:Now, they could say "If you're an Independent, and make it to #8, you get an auto-bid, and Conference Champs ranked at/above #12 get one." I guess I could roll with that, because it wouldn't be Notre Dame, but ND, BYU, Liberty, Army, UMass. Conf Champs have to make top 12 to get an auto-bid, Indies have to get to #8. Basically they wouldn't be "bumped" by a Conf Champ who's ranked below them.

What I think I see happening is a 5+1+2 system--5 P5 conference champions, 2 pure at-larges, and 1 "autobid" for the highest ranking FBS school not in a P5 conference.

Quote:Edit: Problem with that is, say Notre Dame is #8. Michigan is #7 losing to OSU (again), and UM/ND never played each other. Michigan would say "Wait, how come THEY get an auto-bid? Because they're Independent? Why are WE the ones getting bumped by #10 Washington State P12 Champ, and not ND who's ranked a spot below us??"

Michigan was never in competition with Notre Dame for an at-large spot in this scenario. They got beat out by Georgia and by, um, UCF.

Or more likely, UCF would be on the outside looking in, because Notre Dame claimed the Non-P5 Autobid.

Quote:It'd be Conference Non-Champ VS Independent No-Conference. Which one has better pull? ND fans would say "Hey, we didn't even Have a Chance at a 13th game! You did, and you couldn't get it!" Of course, UM fans would say "Yeah, but we joined a conference! You CHOSE not to!" If it wasn't ND, this would be a non-issue.

This is true. Nobody's wargaming out how BYU is going to react to the playoff system.

But it IS Notre Dame, and I think they have the stroke to claim a share of the G5 autobid.

Quote: #8 Independent would be bumped instead of #7 Non-Champ-too. But since it's Notre Dame.... I say, screw it. Tough luck. Join the ACC fully, you dolts. :)

That's not how the blueblood game is played.
12-20-2018 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - johnbragg - 12-20-2018 05:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.