Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
(12-20-2018 02:16 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-20-2018 01:26 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:But with expansion to 8, I don't think they'd [Notre Dame] accept that concept. They will want to be able to make it with 1 loss or maybe even 2, like P5 champs will be able to.

Notre Dame won't make it to an 8-team playoff with 2L hardly at all playing only 12 games, but 1L pretty much a sure shot. Not winning a conference lacks something solid/concrete in the "earning" phase + nixes out an extra game in a schedule against a formidable opponent (which is why B12 has missed the 4-team playoff more often than they'd like). BUT, that's what Notre Dame signed up for despite being a pseudo-member of the ACC. That's on THEM being Independent -- there can be no complaining about it. If they were part of the ACC, they could get into an 8-team playoff with 2L by making up for it. They chose not to. It's on THEM. You can't take the pros of being Ind, and throw out the cons. :)

Quote:Bottom line is a G5 auto-bid would take a vital spot of access away from Notre Dame, reducing the at-large from 3 to 2. That's not something I think they will support.

Yes, they won't like it. And of course they'd support any rule that favors them no matter how sound or ridiculous; and dislike anything that would more often not be in their favor.

Well, in 2015 Notre was #8 in the CFP rankings, behind all the P5 champs but ahead of all G5 teams. They also had 2 losses.

So that's an actual example of where a two-loss ND team was ranked high enough to make an 8 team playoff with P5 autobids, but they would have been eliminated if the top G5 team had an autobid as well.

IMO this is important because ND is important. No, they don't call all the shots, if the P5 conferences want a G5 bid it will happen.

But, ND does have more clout than probably the entire G5, and the P5 could very well be on their side on this issue.

If Notre Dane is important then they won’t be left out. Over its short history one thing is clear, the committee has been shown to reward brand over all else if things are anywhere near close. Notre Dame is arguably the biggest brand in college football. I absolutely guarantee if it’s close, Notre Dame is in and some poor lower brand with a great season (say a TCU) is out. That’s another reason I hate hate hate the ice skating system...but with only 8 slots...your stuck with some subjective measuring stick filling a few slots. However, I’d be fine using the AP poll/coaches poll combo. That at least reflects a wider cross section of viewpoints. My guess is Notre Dame would prefer the Committee to the polls.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 02:37 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-20-2018 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - Attackcoog - 12-20-2018 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.