quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
(12-17-2018 07:53 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-17-2018 06:32 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 05:32 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 04:43 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 01:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  lol. Youve gone completely off the deep end.

Dont those "clubby" 10-14 team college football competitions, actually represent an exclusive level of such quality, that the "power conference" label is required (at least that's what you've basically said in literally thousands of previous posts). Now you have suddenly done a complete about face and defined them as "clubs" that arent really all that significant in college football. Interesting.

Your entire response here is nonsensical. You don't even attempt to defend the idea that a conference title should *entitle* a team to a national playoff birth, except to proclaim that conferences have existed for 100 years.

And of course conferences are *extremely* important in college football, and I've never said otherwise. I've just said they are a poor basis for choosing playoff participants.

And on that point, it's also true that those same conferences have never ever created what you want them to create - a playoff with automatic bids for themselves. Not ever, in all those 100 years.

Maybe they realize it doesn't make any sense too?

You mean other than my discussion of how its important enough to spend 8-10 games of a 12 game season to determine those champions. You mean other than my statement that winning a conference championship is the accepted gateway to the playoffs for every other sport all these FBS schools play? Yeah, other than that I guess I didn't address something so silly it really didnt deserve to be addressed.

lol...as for having not used conferences championships as the basis for a playoff---well---maybe thats because for the vast majority of that 100 years, there was no playoff. In fact, what you think was unimportant---winning conferences (along with getting to a bowl) was the ENTIRE point of the season.

This is wrong in several ways. I've already debunked your statement about spending 8-10 games on the conference schedule to determine the conference champion - yes, teams play a lot of conference games, but that doesn't mean winning those games makes you better than teams that played other games in other conferences. I also debunked the "gateway" concept by explaining how conference titles in college football are idiosyncratic compared to pro sports (pros count all games when determining division champs, not just division games) and how the structure of an 8-team playoff isn't comparable to that of college hoops and baseball, which have far more at-large teams. All of that has been addressed and debunked, so you didn't say anything new there.

Also, your last point makes no sense: You have to explain how IF for 100 years conferences have been the Big Reason to play college football why there has been no playoff until the last 20 years, and no playoff ever that has had auto-bids for conference champs. Apparently, the culture of college football has in fact never valued that concept. Never.

And no, for major powers, winning the conference has never been THE goal, THE goal has been to win the national championship. As Bobby Bowden explained it, in the pre-BCS era, your goal was to be ranked #1 going in to your bowl game, because then your bowl game is a de facto national championship game. Conference titles were just waystations on that path then.

lol....dude. Step away from the key board. Youve debunked that teams dont play 8-10 games to determine a championship? What? Nobody cares about conferneces? Confernece championships don't matter and never have?

Child please.

You have been reduced to "LOL" because you have nothing left to say but to mischaracterize what i said. I never said conference titles mean nothing. They do mean something, but contrary to what you said, they have never been THE thing. THE thing for top programs has been winning the national championship.

Good Lord. Just give it up. 07-coffee3
12-18-2018 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - quo vadis - 12-18-2018 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.