The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
(12-17-2018 05:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-17-2018 04:52 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Except:
1 It increases the maximum number of games for the finalists to 16.

But the 3 extra games that merely *2* teams get -- they're all separated by over a week in-between each! The # of games isn't so bad -- it's how densely packed they are. That's Not densely packed, so that's not an issue. If anything, there's the complaint with NY bowls that there's too big a "vacation" (but not from an academic angle).

Quote:2. The extra schools in create a disadvantage for the schools playing in the CCG in that they now don't have that extra week off to prepare that the lesser schools involved have because they didn't play on the CCG weekend.

Not true. You'd still get an extra week off post-CCG. Didn't make it? You get 2 weeks off. Don't see an issue there. And how many teams Wouldn't even be in a CCG? Notre Dame when they're in the Top 1-6 or so to get an at-large... and, who else? Maybe someone like Michigan if they were instead undefeated this year but beat Notre Dame (=ND not going), but upset by Ohio State in a barn burner but being the at-large instead. Every year there might be 1, maybe 2. But again, regardless, you still get an extra week off anyway.

Quote:3. It takes away some of the relevance of the CCG thereby devaluing the games to the networks and their sponsors.

You could make the case about so many bowls with those who didn't win their conference -- or just about anything else to varying degrees. No, a playoff -- whether it be 4 teams or 8 teams that has an extra week, does not take away from the relevance of a CCG.

A CCG becomes even bigger -- a shot at an auto-bid for a chance at a National Championship -- instead of a Big Bowl. If you did win it but didn't, say, make it to #13 to get that auto-bid, as a P5 pulling an upset or Top G5 not quite making that cut -- you still get to go to a Big Bowl.

This concept does NOT AT ALL dim the light on CCGs. At all. At. All.

We mine as well be talking about the possibility of them taking off cheerleaders' tops due to an 8-team playoff! It's complete nonsense! :)

Quote:4. It still doesn't take into consideration the decline in prestige and value of the NYG bowls and it runs head to head with the weakest bowl games on that weekend thereby minimizing their value almost completely to the sponsors.

Yes, this is THE issue. It will dim the lights on the NY6 bowls. Basically the 12 teams -> 8 teams in the spot light. You'll still have some great bowls on NYE/NY, but they won't be of the "BCS" variety as a REAL playoff will take from that. Yes. But said playoffs are longer, so with your "gripe" above about that, it has it's $$ rewards back in to the system.

But guess what? You could make the same argument about the Top 2 Bowls -> Nat Champ game. Why did they never have that before? Oh, it lowers the tradition & power of the Rose Bowl and others, and the other BCS bowls aren't going to be seen as much! Everyone's just going to care about those too much! Ehhh, not really. But yes, the 8-team playoff will basically be The spotlight, and a couple other Big but not as high-level bowls will be on NYE/NY. And guess what? Those existing ones are just bowls anyway, today.

Quote:This will get kicked around every year until the P5 becomes a P4 and moves to a champs only, or until the Alston case reduces those competing at the highest level, or until ESPN sees no profit in renewing the bowl contracts and opts for a larger playoff instead.

I don't see the P5 -> P4. There's already "too many teams" in some P5 conferences. Personally, I like a max of 12. Unfortunately they go up to 14. Dumping 10 of the B12 into the others -- not a good idea. Won't happen in the foreseeable future.

I'm not arguing this further. I've explained in detail throughout this thread why it will not happen. Get back to me this time next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and unless Alston has lowered the boom on us we will still be exactly where we are right now. And no amount of carefully explaining why it won't happen will have changed everyone's insistence that it could. But nothing is changing until the Alston case is resolved. And if it is no caps on pay for play then everything changes.

And the long and short about the Big 12 will all come down to how disadvantaged Oklahoma feels. If they want to jump it's Katy bar the Door for the Big 12. Kansas will be out with them, and then Texas and Tech will hunt better digs and WVU will be lobbying the ACC big time. What happens to the rest nobody really cares. If Alston hits they may be able to form a new conference at the upper tier.

But if Alston is ruled against we are probably looking at status quo for quite sometime.

I don't see how Kansas is guaranteed a spot when they were left behind during the UT, Tech, Oklahoma St and OU potential move to the PAC in 2010?

Football is horrible and basketball doesn't mean much. I guess they are more valuable now.
12-17-2018 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - P5PACSEC - 12-17-2018 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.