Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
Quote:One thing that has struck me as funny about those who want auto-bids for the P5 conference champs and an auto-bid for the top G5 team is that while they rail and rail about how important it is that playoff spots are determined "on the field" and not by a subjective "beauty contest in a smoke filled room", they are for some reason perfectly comfortable with the idea that one of those auto-spots, the G5 spot

I agree that an Unconditional G5 auto-bid shouldn't be there for an 8-team playoff, like it is now for a 12-team setup. The Top G5 can sometimes be as low as in the 20s rank. I would say NO Unconditional G5 OR P5 auto-bid for an 8-team playoff -- but instead, as vandiver pointed out -- a limit on ranking to get in to Get that Conf auto-bid.

Quote:If that's the case, then they shouldn't have any fundamental problem with my "straight 8" proposal, filling the 8 spots strictly based on a committee ranking with no auto-bids for anyone

Well, as one who respects nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia/tradition -- I'm surprised you'd be going that route, actually. For Top 4, I agree -- because you have fewer teams than even power conferences. One of the MAIN reasons why there's a call for an 8-team playoff that will surely come in the not too distant-distant future.

But going by pure rank and only rank -- it's in the same realm as the argument that the Top 2 Ranked teams in a Conference should play for the Conf Championship, not the divisional winners. The Conference Champ Game is not destined to be for the Top 2 *ranked* teams specifically.

Right now for the "BCS" bowls, we don't go by pure rank. Even if the G5 wasn't there.

You want conference tie-ins to earn your way in, much the same as getting a Rose Bowl spot and the like. You let a 1L team of B12 in, but not a 1L team of the B1G in, this year? You eliminate this.

And, like in the NY5 BCS, with 10-teams, they'd allow an auto-bid for the Top G4 team if they were ranked #16 or higher -- and at least as good as a P6 Conf Winner. So if you're ranked Just over 50% more slots down from the # of teams in it, you could get in if someone below that did too.

Instead for an 8-team playoff, I say, go by #13 (or #12) or better if you win your conference -- G5 or P5. Rankings fill in the rest. You basically give an auto-bid to high-ranked Conf Winners, with the otherwise highest-ranked filling in the gaps, and let the playoffs figure the rest out.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018 07:35 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-17-2018 07:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff - toddjnsn - 12-17-2018 07:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.