If your surname is Montgomery, you have no business coaching in the AAC
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
RE: If your surname is Montgomery, you have no business coaching in the AAC
(10-19-2018 11:07 AM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 10:08 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(10-19-2018 08:09 AM)HoustonCougarNation Wrote:  
(10-13-2018 10:14 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  Sadly true. Philip is a great guy but a bad head coach.

You know do we really have to get rid of someone just because they can't win right away. What is the correct timeline to give staff to see what the return on investment is? How many games do they need before they get fired? Should the blame be put on the assistants that are recruiting the kids that are not producing. All valid points I might add.

I think coaches need a longer chance at trying to win before the fans call for their heads!!!05-stirthepot

It's not a win right away thing. It's a steady obvious decline.

From a coach who has such control issues he struggles to let his own scholarship QB's relay in play calls.

From a coach who has such bad time management skills that we lost to UNM by saving our time outs to freeze a kicker while letting the lobos run the clock out.

From a coach who shows no urgency, had the ball at the 30 yard line, with two minutes left, down 14 vs Temple and didn't even try to hurry up.

From a coach who ran a hurt kid in the fourth quarter, on fourth down and one, up by a point against Houston.

From a coach who went so conservative in the fourth quarter he lost to USF.

From a coach whose teams penalties and penalty yards have increased each year.

From a coach who is an offensive "genius" and "QB whisperer" who tells us every year the next guy up is the one.

From a coach whose QB is the first since maybe the 1980s to throw for less than a 100yds at Tulsa in a game.

From a coach who has had kickers miss important kicks but doesn't think a scholarship for a kicker every four years is worth it.

From a coach who is 4-10 in games decided by a single touch down. All four wins in OT where he didn't have to make a decision. He was 4-3 in one touchdown games with mostly Blankenship (*Dane Evans) players. He is 0-7 in the last two years.

This is clearly a trend. Our offense has been garbage since he got his own players an area he is "gifted" in. Our defense has steadily improved on the other hand an area he has nothing to do with.

Philip Montegomery may one day be a good head coach (look at Bill Belichick early head coaching years) but he is not now. To be honest he needs some time as a coordinator to season him, being a hall monitor at Baylor didn't prepare him well enough. He is not the coach for Tulsa, we do not play Tulsa football. It is not hard, or fast, or entertaining football. It's not winning football with Monty either.

Coach Monty has had his share of mess ups the last 4 years just like anybody would. Especially a younger (and new) head coach. But a lot of the questionable stuff this year I think is caused by our limitations at quarterback. You just can't ask a redshirt freshman (or sophomore) to go out and do what Dane Evans was doing his senior year. It's just not going to happen.

This team is making progress this season. You can see it if you look at more than just the box score. Yes, there are some ups and downs in that progress, but overall I believe they are improving. Heck, we had the #23 (now 21) team in the country on the ropes. How many times has that happened with a ranked team in the last 8 years? Once or twice maybe? Not to mention our opponents so far are a combined 28-10 on the season with none of them having a losing record. That's pretty stiff competition for a young team that's trying to learn how to win.

Getting rid of Monty now would be a knee-jerk reaction in my opinion. People nowadays think we need to win immediately, but that isn't always realistic. I mean, sure, I've been disappointed with how the team has performed, but I'm willing to give people a chance if I think they're making progress in some way, and I believe this team is.

I thought Monty would be gone to a bigger job after 3 or 4 years. Obviously that's not happening. But if we'll give him just a little longer to turn things around, who knows, he may stay here for a long time and have a lot of success. He just seems like a guy who make stick around, especially given what he has gone through here. To build a program back up, experience hardship, and rise from the ashes to something even greater.

He's been recruiting Dane's replacement for four years. It's not like Evans just disappeared. He had plenty of time to recruit his replacement and did, supposidly.

First it was about what a dual threat President was. How good a thrower Skipper was. Now it's the kid ridding the bench as a transfer with numbers that aren't any better than the guys we have and who couldn't get the starting job at a horrible Baylor team last year.

After four years this is his program through and through. There is not a positive trend that you can point to showing Monty is even a decent coach much less good.

We use to out scheme people. Kragthorpe did it starting year one. Malazahn and Graham did it a bunch. Rader did it, Cooper, Blankenship all did it. Monty? Nope, his decisions lead to us losing.

Where are we getting better at? What trend do you see?

Our offense has been in steady decline for two years. Our defense has played steady but Monty has made it clear he doesn't do anything on that side. Our special teams are progressively getting worse and routinely make dumb plays.

In fact dumb plays are my biggest complaint. These kids aren't stupid, yet the number of boneheaded mistakes is astounding.

Good coaching? ASU matched it's turn overs for 6 games last night. Two. The announcers sat there discussing how well coached teams don't turn the ball over or make penalties. Herm has had that team for 7 games.

There is not one positive thing that can be said about our coach as a trend. Not his field position awareness. Not team discipline. Not on clock management, recruiting, play calling, talent evaluation (see our QB position), etc. There is not one positive trend in any area for our coach. There hasn't been since Bill's kids began leaving. If we keep him for next year we will end up winless. I know bad coaching when I see it I watched Burns. His 4-10 record in close games makes it absurdly obvious how bad he is.
10-19-2018 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If your surname is Montgomery, you have no business coaching in the AAC - Foreverandever - 10-19-2018 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.