Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Non-Conference Schedule Analysis Thread
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
RE: Non-Conference Schedule Analysis Thread
(10-07-2018 12:10 AM)DeMarioHooper Wrote:  Disclaimer: In a post-RPI world, it's difficult to know exactly how quality wins and bad losses will be characterized, but it seems extremely likely that these criteria will continue to be the most important factors in the selection process.

Alcorn State - Alcorn only won 7 D1 games last year, but they did finish 2nd in the SWAC the previous two seasons. Nevertheless, it seems likely that they'll be one of the worst teams in the SWAC (and thus the entire country) again this year. In 4 years, Haith has lost to ORU, Jacksonville State, and Lamar in season openers. If he loses this game, it's over.

South Carolina State - The only conference worse than the SWAC last year was the MEAC. SC St. finished 10th in the MEAC.

Cal Baptist - Continuing the cupcake trend, this will be the first season in D1 for Cal Baptist and they're probably the best of the 3 teams.

Little Rock - UALR got to enjoy precisely one good season (and a 2OT upset in the first round of the NCAAT) before Chris Beard skipped town and they dropped back into the cellar of the Sun Belt. And yet, as bad as they've been, UALR has beaten Tulsa 5 times in the past decade (often popping Tulsa's bubble in the process). It's probably time to take a break from this series.

Nevada - Well, that escalated quickly. Nevada is a preseason top 10 team and this game will be played in Las Vegas in front of a crowd of 90% Nevada fans. It's a likely loss, but I don't think this is a bad game. It's the first time both of these teams play away from their home arena and both teams will be integrating a significant number of new players. Would I feel better if this game was being played in Cancun? Sure, but there's no downside. If you lose, no harm done. If you win, that's a season-making win.

Southern Illinois/UMass - SIU is the better team, but neither is likely to make the NCAAT. Either way, this is a losable game after playing Nevada and we'll need to be ready.

UT-Arlington - I was a huge fan of Scott Cross, but UTA missed the NCAAT last year with 8 seniors on their roster and that was apparently the final straw for the decision makers in Arlington. That makes this a tremendous rebuilding job for former Texas Tech assistant Chris Ogden and a game that Tulsa should win easily.

@ Utah - Kudos to the scheduler on this one. Utah is a former rival with sentimental ties (Shea Seals' final home game was against Utah) that will be good, but not great. It's a winnable road game that could be Q1.

Oklahoma State - Unlikely to be a quality win, but OSU will draw in the Reynolds Center and it's always nice to beat the Pokes.

Kansas State - Consecutive B12 opponents at home is a huge scheduling win. Drawing a KState team that made the elite 8 and will start the year inside the top 20 is even bigger. This is the best shot TU has at a Q1 win and it will be key to making the NCAAT.

New Orleans - Outside of a fluky season in 2017, UNO has been consistently bad and one of the worst teams in the Southland. Even Buzz Williams couldn't win there.

Dayton (N) - On the one hand, Dayton was consistently a great program for the past decade. On the other hand, they were shockingly bad in Anthony Grant's first season and they don't project to be much better this year. If Dayton is back, then this is a great game on a neutral floor.

@ ORU - We all know the issues with the ORU series at this point. They haven't been good for a while now, but it doesn't seem to matter when they play TU. We just need to take care of business in this one and move on to conference play.

Some good info you have been posting, all the player stuff you as well or are they from the media?

The UALR game is part of that Vegas tournament I believe but I agree we should look to swap them with another regional program.

Haith absolutely can not blow any of the cupcakes. This year the AAC will be a dog fight, but probably offers enough sos to at least get us on the bubble if we win the non conference games we are suppose to. Picking up a Utah, Nevada, or K state type win would probably give us a good chance at an at large.

Always good to have more TU fans on here. We're a small group and there are a few mainly lurkers so you might have to be patient to get the conversation going. I saw you posted in the basketball sub as well. You'll probably get more talk going here on the main board. With drummer, you, me, and goldenhurricane2 and the occasional other Tulsa poster like Nevada, weather demon, or panic we can probably have some solid threads going. If rabid decides to participate watch outCOGS
10-10-2018 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Non-Conference Schedule Analysis Thread - Foreverandever - 10-10-2018 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.