Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP?
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP?
(07-30-2019 10:38 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...on/595102/

Not great, Bob.

Yes, Virginia, there's hypocrisy and failure on both sides, but it is the left that has set itself up to the arbiter of all things moral and ethical, and the greatest sin is to be racist in any conceivable way. THAT's how you get to the "deplorables" speech.

Maybe it is worse to want to condemn millions to live in poverty and hopelessness in order to shame one man for minor transgressions. Better to repeal the tax cuts that help so many than to allow him to talk unimpeded about rodent-infested cities. Of course, there is no minor transgression when it comes to race politics - you are either a Democrat or a Nazi.

I haven't read the purported Nixon/Reagan discussion. I have no idea how egregious the racial statements are. But it does not surprise me that two men raised in the 20-30's would hold some such views. I am sure if they had been born 30 years later and having that discussion today, it would be different. Just as it would be if they were discussing it with Lincoln in 1858. Or 1862. Or 1865. It would be different if they were discussing it with Napoleon, or Caesar. Maybe it is time to stop holding the modern yardstick up against historical personages.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019 05:31 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
07-31-2019 05:30 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP? - OptimisticOwl - 07-31-2019 05:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.