Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Open Response to Enquirer Sports "Columnist" Paul Daugherty
(08-21-2018 11:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 11:28 AM)Not Duane Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 11:14 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 10:53 PM)Not Duane Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 07:40 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years and a fan for 60. During that time the word marketing and UC football have never come together. Students leave early, did they ever try to create a reason to stay? How about students that leave at the game end get a preference for Big Basketball games? Or have a rock band concert after the game ends?

Sure winning solves all issues but until that happens be creative. All these employees and what do we get?

Try enlisting a UC marketing class for ideas.

Bob Goins once told me until FSU FB became good he had bands invited to every game to create the illusion of attendance.

Let's draw an analogy here:

Let's say you have a product--rotten eggs, and your job is to sell them to the public to eat. No amount of marketing or positioning, or providing incentives is going to get the public to buy and eat rotten eggs.

Your revenue on the product will fall, and until you replace it with a product the public wants to purchase for consumption--fresh eggs, that trend will continue. In order to get that new product, you have to change distributors, and then demonstrate that the product is not only safe, but desirable for consumption.

Until that happens, the public will purchase their eggs elsewhere.

Very simple.

Good Lord. 03-zzz

Do you dispute this? Why do teams that win regularly pack their stadiums and sell out season tickets? Is it just happenstance?

I think not.

The solution is simple to understand but difficult to achieve. UC FB is in a bind historically because they share this locale with several P5 schools that cut into the recruitment pool. Thus UC gets 2 and 3 star players, while the P5 vacuums up the 4 star and above blue chip recruits. In addition, UC constantly loses capable coaches to the P5, so the program can't get traction. This won't change unless UC gets invited to the P5--which is unlikely, because the P5 doesn't want to split the pot of $$ they now enjoy.

Short of congress getting involved, you have 3 options:

1. move to a lower division in FB where you will be more competitive.
2. cheat.
3. bribe a big time coach to come here with much $$$$.

UC has done 2 and 3 and been unsuccessful. Option 1 might be the best way to go.

Other than that, you're hoping for magic to solve the situation, and that's unlikely.

When's the last time UC football cheated? I am not talking about players getting in trouble for a DUI or punching a dude at a bar, I am talking about the program paying recruits to come here and similar violations.

Tuberville "was" a big time name coming out of Auburn, but he well past his prime. He was in retirement mode. As far as "overpaying"- he was not making much more than what we paid for Butch Jones and what we currently are paying Coach Fickell.
How about the same option that UCF and Houston was taken. Recruit your region well, grow your program and win your conference. This conference is as good as the Big East we played in. We have yet to beat the teams at the top of our own division. UCF, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Navy are getting national press and some of us are talking about gimmicks.
Win the conference. Make the NY6. Those teams just mentioned are just getting it done without making excuses about the conference, recruiting, etc.
I am so glad CLF is not making excuses about the conference, recruiting, attendance, etc. He seems be pursuing the same path as Dantonio.

(08-21-2018 11:31 AM)Bearcatdh58 Wrote:  Remember we all complained that the Big East did not get favorable media attention. During our membership, the Big East was 5 - 3 in BCS games. Only W Virginia and UofL winning. The last two teams, WV and UoL was rated #23 and #21, respectively. Except for our auto-bid BCS bowl, the other bowl games were meh, pretty much the same as today.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using CSNbbs mobile app

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using CSNbbs mobile app

08-21-2018 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open Response to Enquirer Sports "Columnist" Paul Daugherty - Bearcatdh58 - 08-21-2018 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.