Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What do you replace the church with?
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: What do you replace the church with?
(07-25-2018 06:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  We home church. Our tithes and offerings go directly to those in need and with them we always get asked, "Why are you doing this for us?" Well right there you have your opening for a witness. "We are doing this for you because it is what God wants us to do because God loves and values you."

That's what the corporate church never gets around to and why it fails. And if you aren't helping people directly the young folks see you for what you are, worthless. If you want to reach the young then help them, or their friends, and get them involved with it. Then you'll grow.

In corporate church you drop some in the plate and socialize and have no responsibility to be a minister to anyone. Your pastor gets a fat check to work himself/herself to death (appx. 60-70 hours a week). They burn out, die early, or get too accustomed to the money, power or prestige and lose their way. Their congregations do nothing much of note and in time they die out with the wealthiest members.

Get everyone involved in ministry and just try to keep up with your growth. But your growth doesn't need a weekly meeting place all under one roof, just more homes to meet in. And there is no salary to support, no building overhead to cover, but there is a lot of personal contact time. There's your first century church at work.

In other words people are attracted to Christianity in practice, not in Christianity professed, or conferred through training programs that require no subsequent action when completed.

I understand the issue with "corporate" church and budgets but I would argue that it depends on the church leadership and its transparency whether or not it honors God. We share our operating budget on a regular basis with the congregation and I have been a member of our finance team that helps review the annual budget before it is presented to the full congregation. We do have a paid staff with insurance benefits but I know what everyone makes and it is not "fat" by any means. I believe we generate a tremendous return on building God's Kingdom that honors and glorifies Him. Believe me, I'm not naive to the fact that corruption and waste and impropriety and stealing from God occurs. Calling oneself a Christian is not what really counts. What one does and how one acts as representative of Christ Jesus is the true calling card for any Christian or church as a whole.

Our church is modeled somewhat on Pastor Rick Warren's from the basis of as your church grows larger in members, it needs to grow smaller in "connection" groups for accountability, prayer, bible study, ministry efforts, fellowship, etc. We are seeing such groups meet more and more off campus in homes but also because we have run out of room in our building. To your point, churches can become saturated with those that check the box for attendance only. That becomes easier to do when you can "hide" in your seat among many or the pastor/leadership team makes no effort to engage folks to service/ministry. We do a weekly meeting (voluntary) during one of our two church services to engage the congregation on how to get involved in ministry to our church members and to our community. It has helped to get more folks "plugged in" and serving in various ministry/mission areas.
07-25-2018 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you replace the church with? - UCGrad1992 - 07-25-2018 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.