GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
RE: USA Today released athletic finances for 2016-17
(06-30-2018 03:11 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-30-2018 02:48 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  
(06-30-2018 02:24 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-30-2018 01:46 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  
(06-30-2018 01:37 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Might not give you the total picture of the health of AD but that statement has some truth to it. I would love to see what each CUSA school reeled in as self generated revenue i.e. ticket sales, sponsorships, donations etc. I don't know if anyone compiles that data but that would be very helpful.

Certainly not everything but if fans and donors are not actively investing and an AD is falsely propped up by state money and high student fees, that’s not a good long term situation. Jmho

You can look at it that way but FIU has a budget that is more healthy than Marshall's. Even with low ticket sales and over 21 million in student fees....

FIU has tons of room to grow

On July 1st FIU's AD has 21 million dollars in the bank and those students paying that money are not burdened as much as the Marshall students that contribute over 6 million to the Marshall budget.

each FIU student is paying $381 a year in student fees (based off 55,000)
each Marshall student is paying $471 a year in student fees (based off 13,300)

If FIU added another $90 to their student fees and caught up with Marshall. That adds right at 5 million more a year to the FIU budget. That is 1.2x the amount Marshall is getting on tickets sold.

FIU is expecting enrollment numbers to reach 58,000 (3000 more than today) by 2020. That 3000 increase adds another 1.1 million to their AD budget

Below came from Google:

The 2018 undergraduate tuition & fees of Florida International University are $6,556 for Florida residents

According to https://www.marshall.edu/tuition/ it cost a Marshall student $4,064 Per Semester Tuition for a Resident of WV. $8128 a year for a Resident of WV.

In the last 7 years Marshall has been in the mid to high 3 million mark on dollars off tickets sold. So basically Marshall has been stable but without any major growth. In those years Marshall had a run of 10, 13 and 10 wins and a conference championship... with very little growth on tickets sold .

This has nothing to do with me being a Western fan. Hell I pointed out the problems Western was going to have, well over 2 years ago. I knew Western (like most of our schools) are a state cut or a enrollment decrease away from cutting millions from our budget.

This is just a look at how student fees are the most stable stream of income in most schools budget. How a school without much tickets sold but a large enrollment is actually the stable school when it comes to a budget and growth

I can appreciate all that, but Marshall will never prop up its athletic budget on the backs of the students as some schools do. Is that suicide, maybe, but that’s their goal and I think things would have to be pretty dire to change that stance. Of course it would help all our schools if we had a better media package but that ship has sailed and ain’t coming back.

The fact that Marshall is in the most depressed area of any league school doesn’t help.

the % don't matter

Each Marshall student is paying $90 more each year per-student for sports than a FIU student. So actually Marshall is propping up its athletic budget on the backs of the students.

FIU just has more students

I 100% agree with your last sentence and that is one reason Marshall's student enrollment has very little room for growth. And Marshall is getting close to a top end on tuition at over $8,000 a year. Western is in worse shape than Marshall on that front even with Western's larger enrollment numbers.....

there's only so many dollars you can squeeze out of a person before it's tips the scales....decrease enrollment. Hell even there FIU is beating Marshall and Western. FIU is a bargain at $6,556 year. Western just had a 4% tuition increase and it cost over 10k a year....

schools in depressed areas with high tuition can not grow

I've seen the fan support Marshall has, football and basketball. I can't say anything negative about it. Great fans! But just like all of us their is a ceiling to the dollars we will get from those fans....

Marshall has a increase in dollars out tickets sold right after moving to CUSA then a drop for two years. Marshall hires a new football coach and tickets sold increases again. It's remained in that mid to upper 3 million range for 7 seasons

So unless there's another conference move in Marshall's future....dollars off tickets sold has some room to grow but not enough to matter.

Of course that's just my opinion, based off the numbers shown over a large period of years. And as you pointed out Marshall is located in one of the most depressed area of all the CUSA schools. Limited amount of recreation dollars to go around.

May I copy & paste this on SBC thread but replace FIU -> Georgia State and Marshall -> Georgia Southern/App State? It will save a whole lot of effort about this time of every freakin offseason when this USA Today report is published.....
Like FIU, other G5 fans (especially proud football schools such as Marshall, App and GS) love to point out the high % allocated funds (student fees) of large enrollment schools like Georgia State that claims $20mil annually from student fees alone, but this is only due to 50k+ students paying toward athletics....individual students actually pay much less than their counterparts at smaller schools
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 10:37 AM by GSUALUM17.)
07-01-2018 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: USA Today released athletic finances for 2016-17 - GSUALUM17 - 07-01-2018 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.