*OFFICIAL* Baseball Coaching Search Thread
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: *OFFICIAL* Baseball Coaching Search Thread
(06-15-2018 03:08 PM)ranfin Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 03:00 PM)Owlmaha Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 01:56 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 11:20 AM)Owlmaha Wrote:  VBO- you need to remain silent about things you have no information about. In this thread, as it relates to Wayne you have been negative, insulting and flat out wrong.

Where do you get this crap from? I've tried to stay out of your overt and not so subtle campaign for Lance because I don't give a crap but you have zero facts about what Wayne was offered or what he was thinking. As to the offer, it was basically what Walt has reported although no terms were ever discussed because Wayne had no desire to report to Leebron or be a tool of the university. Totally his choice by the way and not an unreasonable position. Your insights into what Coach was thinking are another source of BS. At the end of the 2017 season, Wayne myself and a couple of other core supporters had a discussion about what he needed to transition to a new coach. The discussion, that I was a part of, centered on how best to secure his legacy. His concern was for his kids and his assistants- not coaching until he died! Lance never even came up. He, and the others at the time, thought that Paul showed great potential and given another year with greater responsibilities and tutoring could be the best thing for Rice. Wayne signed off on this and I and another person who I will not name without permission, personally delivered this message and plan to Leebron in the summer. He thought it sounded ok and he followed up with a meeting with Coach. The AD was aware, the BOT was aware and at the end of the day this very reasonable plan that could have resulted in world peace was rejected by JK/Tudor in midseason. There you have it. It was only at this point that Wayne decided to concentrate only on his players and refused to negotiate with or take part in any Rice related hoopla.

The most disturbing thing about all of this is that the most knowledgeable resource Rice had on college athletics and baseball, Wayne, was never consulted. He was insulted, micro-managed and alienated, but never once consulted.

I really hope that the reason you are mad is because the decision to hire Lance Berkman has been made. As I was reading your emotional outburst, this is what I was thinking.

It is not your role to try to broker a peace accord between Coach Graham, Joe Karlgaard, and the next head baseball coach. I'm sure your heart was in the right place and your intentions good, but it's not your role. It's the Athletics Director's role to run a process to select the next head coach. Period. Tudor would have been undermining the AD and others by allowing your proposal to win the day. The AD would basically be neutered if he had to name the exiting coach's hand-picked choice as the successor to the coaching job.

1. Don't confuse anger with correcting your blatant falsehoods and character assassination of my friend. These things you knew nothing about, because you were not there, but feel free to state as fact- like what Wayne was offered are ridiculous. If you check my posting record, you will see that I have not had much to say about this or anything else.

2. It is laughable to suggest that I, or anyone else, could broker anything with these people. Do you know them? That said, what planet are you on where people who care can't put their heads together and try to suggest positive developments. For example, if you would not have known my role until today it could have been the Karlgaard plan as far as any of us were concerned. When having these discussions, everyone agreed that we would keep our mouths shut until something was resolved. I did that.

3. You really don't get it. Coach never demanded that he pick the successor. He simply thought it would behoove them to ask for his views.

4. Anyone who can read knows that the AD is higher on the food chain than the baseball coach. It might interest you to know that lots of other AD's have been able to ask for advice from HOF employees without feeling that they were being neutered. See Del Conte.

Going to the President rather than the Athletic Director sorta seems like cutting the Athletic Director out of the loop.

I just picked up on that myself, reading back through the chain of posts. Why go over Karlgaard's head with the plan?
06-15-2018 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: *OFFICIAL* Baseball Coaching Search Thread - Frizzy Owl - 06-15-2018 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.