Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: *OFFICIAL* Baseball Coaching Search Thread
(06-15-2018 12:46 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 12:39 PM)Owlmaha Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 12:23 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 12:05 PM)jhruzek Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 11:20 AM)Owlmaha Wrote:  VBO- you need to remain silent about things you have no information about. In this thread, as it relates to Wayne you have been negative, insulting and flat out wrong.

Where do you get this crap from? I've tried to stay out of your overt and not so subtle campaign for Lance because I don't give a crap but you have zero facts about what Wayne was offered or what he was thinking. As to the offer, it was basically what Walt has reported although no terms were ever discussed because Wayne had no desire to report to Leebron or be a tool of the university. Totally his choice by the way and not an unreasonable position. Your insights into what Coach was thinking are another source of BS. At the end of the 2017 season, Wayne myself and a couple of other core supporters had a discussion about what he needed to transition to a new coach. The discussion, that I was a part of, centered on how best to secure his legacy. His concern was for his kids and his assistants- not coaching until he died! Lance never even came up. He, and the others at the time, thought that Paul showed great potential and given another year with greater responsibilities and tutoring could be the best thing for Rice. Wayne signed off on this and I and another person who I will not name without permission, personally delivered this message and plan to Leebron in the summer. He thought it sounded ok and he followed up with a meeting with Coach. The AD was aware, the BOT was aware and at the end of the day this very reasonable plan that could have resulted in world peace was rejected by JK/Tudor in midseason. There you have it. It was only at this point that Wayne decided to concentrate only on his players and refused to negotiate with or take part in any Rice related hoopla.

The most disturbing thing about all of this is that the most knowledgeable resource Rice had on college athletics and baseball, Wayne, was never consulted. He was insulted, micro-managed and alienated, but never once consulted.

Wow!!! Worse than I had heard. Completely embarrassing 04-jawdrop

Wayne doesn’t get to choose the next coach and Leebron shouldn’t be involved in choosing a successor. That is the ADs job. He’s responsible in the end and I’m not sure why anyone on here thinks it should be another way. Probably because you like to think of yourselves as program insiders and friends of Wayne and it’s blocking out any reason.

Well I am a friend of Wayne's and quite proud of that. I guess I am an insider since during my tenure as head of the RBI Club I helped raise millions for the baseball program. I have also been a friend of Rice being recognized by two colleges and others for my support that have nothing to do with athletics. I tried my best to help coach and the team, as I do most Rice students. That said, why would that preclude me thinking that a peaceful resolution is better than a contentious one? Why would that preclude me from recognizing the fact that a HOF coach might be a good resource for a young and unproven AD? You should not dismiss ideas just because they come from Wayne or his friends when they might be the best resources you have to call upon.

I don’t really care if the resolution is peaceful or contentious I want what’s best for the baseball program. Wayne wasn’t ready to step aside even though the results/recruiting have been on a downhill slide for 4 years. It sounds like he was trying to pick the next coach and that info was taken to the president as a succession plan. That’s not how it should work. I have no problem with JK asking Wayne for advice on who the next HC should be, but that’s not what you described.

Nothing precludes the AD from consulting anyone and then disregarding that advice. It's incomprehensible that he was not consulted. FWIW, I would expect Wayne Graham to want to choose his successor, but ultimately, that's the AD's decision, and the AD is the one who is accountable for it. People would be upset if Karlgaard consulted coach Graham and went on a different direction, but that's entirely different from not consulting him (think "thank you for your input" versus "**** off").
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018 01:00 PM by I45owl.)
06-15-2018 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: *OFFICIAL* Baseball Coaching Search Thread - I45owl - 06-15-2018 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.