DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: [split] Mike Bloomgren's 2nd Rice recruiting class
(12-04-2018 12:45 PM)nightowl24 Wrote:  
(12-04-2018 12:36 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(12-04-2018 12:07 PM)nightowl24 Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 08:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 08:14 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  Bradley Rozner committed from JUCO
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4042137/5bc...0b8cb5d657
I don't get it with him. 6-4 with really nice hands. 13 TD's. Yet he only received offers from Incarnate Word and HBU? He obviously isn't a speedster but he's not slow either from the film I saw.
Good pick-up for the Owls. Let's hope they utilize him the proper way. It also appears he'll join the team next semester which is a help as well.
To explain it he's slow. He doesn't get any separation from the defender unless its a busted coverage. What he does do is use every bit of that 6-4 to catch the ball. He has some great hands and he high points the ball really well. He seems to be one of those guys that you just throw the ball in his vicinity and let him go make a play on the ball as he sees fit. He went JUCO as a full qualifier out of HS because he didn't have the athletic ability at that time to play collegiate ball. I see us using him for back shoulder throws, in routes for 3rd downs(using his frame to shield off the defender) and jump balls in the end zone.
If you notice his JUCO played him in the slot a lot. That's kind of rare for guy of his size, its due to his lack of speed. They put him in the slot so that he can get away from the more athletic cb, he gets matched up with a safety and they are off the LOS. This allows for him to get a free release and find the open areas. Now with that explained we don't run a lot of 3 an 4 wr sets to utilize this scheme. So either 1. the defense is going to KNOW we are going to pass because we are in an obvious passing situation, which then allows them to scheme him up to reduce his effectiveness, 2. we are going to use more formations so we can utilize him more, then there is 3. we continue what we are doing and he lines up as an outside on a much more athletic defender and his usefulness is reduced tremendously. I think he has a place but as he is right now he is more of what we already have: a skilled player, but is lacking raw athletic ability. If used properly can definitely impact the game.
Sounds more like an undersized TE than a true WR. Would he be effective as a receiving TE who could chip-block blitzers, but not really be used for true pass-protection?
From the film he is slight of body. I think he is slow as it is and to have him chip then run a route will slow him down even more. With that said I think in the endzone this works. crossing routes at the back of the endzone, 3rd and short in the middle of the field, things like that. He's what we used call a possession wr. he isn't going to pop the top on the defense but he'll tear your butt up for repeated 5,10,15yd gains never pushing you deep just making timely catches. he has place, so it will be interesting to see how we use him.

I'm betting RUOwls could coach him into a threat receiver.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018 01:10 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
12-04-2018 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Mike Bloomgren's 2nd Rice recruiting class - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-04-2018 01:09 PM
Q - Buho00 - 12-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Best Rice Athlete Ever - owlman70 - 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.