ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Michael Hueitt Jr. to transfer from ODU
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Michael Hueitt Jr. to transfer from ODU
(04-09-2018 10:52 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 07:10 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Johnson hurt ODU from the outside much worse than inside because he had a slow big guy trying to guard him on the perimeter. Same with Nick King. But, when the put the smaller, more athletic Carver (prolly 6-5 220) in; both had much more difficulties scoring. Besides, there are many very good post up players in college basketball and even less of them play "power forward." The ones that can do both are great players that likely aren't playing too many games vs. CUSA schools.

You don't have to shoot a bunch of 3s to play BJ (or others) at the 4. It spreads out the court for other things as well. And a player that only shoots 3 wasn't one of the best players on the team as a true freshman.

"One of the best players on the team as a true freshman" (your comment), and "his best young 3 point shooter" (my comment) are not one and the same thing Giles. I didn't even remotely make the point that you are mysteriously replying to.

Justin Johnson just became a significant 3 point shooter this season. He was also a very good player in the years prior to this one. During Johnson's Sophomore and Junior years he was mostly guarded by one of ODU's all time best defenders at the 4 position (Denzel Taylor), who also happens to match up physically better with Johnson than BJ ever could. Over the prior 2 seasons Johnson scored a total of 65 points against ODU over 5 games. Only 12 of those points were scored on 3 point shots - less than (1) 3 pointer per game. If he could score that many against Denzel inside then I'm sure he would have fared much better with BJ guarding him as the opposing 4, and that was my original point about BJ guarding bigger, stronger 4's like Johnson inside. Can't believe that you would feel differently about that hypothetical match-up. Do you honestly think BJ could cover a man like Johnson inside as well or better than Denzel?

You so desperately want Jones to turn ODU into Villanova. Guess what! So does everyone else. Unfortunately, that old saying about having to dance with the girl you brought with you comes to mind. From observation, Jeff is more of a slow dance kind of guy. Villanova is more rock and roll. Jeff will be sitting the dance out till the next slow song starts because that is who he is. He needs a dance partner (players) that dance to his music, not Villanova's.

EDIT: Another thing ... A 4 player that can adequately defend another good sized 4 player inside doesn't have to be "a slow big guy". I know that description fits your argument best, but that's all it does. There is a wide group of players in between the two groups that you seem to want to limit things to with Group (A) being to play a natural small forward (a 3) at the 4 position because he can shoot 3's better, and Group (B) being a "slow big guy" at the 4 position that plays solely inside offensively. Think more of guys like Valdas, Keyon Carter, Arnaud Dahi, etc. as being the kind of guys that ODU wants as a 4 player, at least while Jeff is coaching. I'm optimistic that the freshman coming in from GA might be a good fit at the 4 if he can get learn the system soon enough to play for Jeff this season. Who knows?

He just doesn't get it. Sure, it's worked before elsewhere. With much better players, it could work here. We do not have a good enough roster to play that system and we do not have a good enough coach to win and make the NCAA with that system.

End of story.
04-09-2018 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michael Hueitt Jr. to transfer from ODU - Razor Ramon Monarch - 04-09-2018 11:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.