teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond
(10-21-2021 11:26 AM)AZcats Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 10:02 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 09:24 AM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 07:01 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 07:00 AM)Pastasevensamurai Wrote:  https://www.roi-nj.com/2021/10/20/educat...-for-help/

I anticipate we will see at least 10 more stories from various schools till the end of the school year.

Bloomfield has struggled for years. I dont know much about them except they used to be NAIA. They moved to D2 along with Centenary, Felician, Georgian Court, Caldwell etc.

But Bloomfield filed for bankruptcy in the late 70's or early 80's and managed to survive that somehow. They never seem to have gotten better, just gotten by.

It must have been a long time ago that they were in the NAIA because I don't remember them. Not even sure what conference they would have been in because in the "conference era" the NAIA has been weak in the north east. So it was probably in the district era, before 1985 or so when there were over 500 members of the NAIA.

I believe they left for D2 around 1995 with the schools I named, plus Wilmington and Goldey Beacom from Delaware. Can't remember the conference. Might have been at th time of the switchover from Districts to Conferences so they may not have even been in a conference at all. I thought the districts ended in 94 or 95. There were districts well after 85. NJ and parts of NY and a few other states were District 31, which I believe was separated off from District 18.

Bloomfield College was a founding Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference member in 1961. https://caccathletics.org/information/About_the_CACC

So, 1998 according to the CACC web site.

There was a period of overlap in conferences and districts. A lot of NAIA schools belonged to conferences for many decades but they only mattered for scheduling and conference championship purposes. MANY NAIA schools didn't belong to conferences, especially out west where distances were large and "like schools" were hard to find. When it became clear that the NAIA would transition to conference-based automatic bids to the national tournaments, there was a period of time where conferences were being formed in order to prepare for that, but the post season bids were not yet conference-based. The conference I've watched the longest is the GSAC, which formed in 1986. I don't know when exactly the automatic bids became conference based, but 1995 might be correct.
10-21-2021 04:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 10-21-2021 04:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.