Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
(04-26-2018 05:27 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 05:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 03:06 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I think the new AAC deal will be another short(er) team deal (probably around seven/eight years again), for somewhere around $400 million ($4.5 million per school per year). I'm guessing Navy will get more for football-only than Wichita State as a non-football (or maybe it will be equal, I'm not sure what they currently make in the AAC). It would represent a substantial increase in pay, while also ensuring ESPN can keep the AAC inventory (and lease it out when necessary).

I just have a very hard time seeing the $6-$8 million range per year per team for the next TV deal. That would mean there would be a 400% increase in pay - which is something not even the B1G or SEC received.

While that would be a benefit to many within the AAC, that would still be a reduction in overall pay for UConn/Cincinnati/USF (if you add in the war chest fees in addition to the current base pay of the AAC TV deal). Something will have to give in the next AAC TV deal.

Well---Its a 400% increase--but lets be honest----given the AAC ratings, the reality is the AAC has probably been underpaid from the very start. The MAC received a 10 fold increase in 2014. The first half of the Big10 rights sold to Fox went from 50 million in value to 250 million (a 5x increase). The new Sunbelt deal payout is 4 times what the old deal paid. CUSA's new deal doubled their payout from just 2 years ago (and that doesnt include in increases in media value from ongoing negotiations with ESPN or the current BeIn package of games that wont come up for renewal until next year). The UFC mixed martial arts fighting organization is rumored to be close to signing a deal for 3 times its current price.

So, after looking at recent media deals---then a 3-4 fold increase isnt really out of the norm at all. In fact, If you think the AAC was badly undervalued in 2013---its not impossible the value could be MORE than 3 to 4 times its current valuation.

It has to be at least 4 times the current one of 1.8 mil a year. It HAS to. If not, Uconn has a very serious decision to make as the big East legacy money being gone would mean Uconn, Cincinnati and USF will be making less.

I disagree. If the media deal is just 3 million dollars a year---plus you figure the AAC will net another 1.5 million or so every year from the CFP---then the AAC is essentially the better deal financially for UConn. "Ok"--you say---"but what if its worth losing 500K a year to play the old BE rivals". OK....but is it worth making 500K less a year AND paying a 10 million dollar exit fee AND a 2 million dollar entry fee into the Big East...PLUS relegating your football team to indy oblivion? I doubt it.

If the AAC media deal comes in at 4 million or above---there isnt even a debate....how can you consider saying no to 1.5 million in extra revenue in the AAC when your athletic department just took a 7 million dollar per year revenue hit because the realignment fund ran out? Is anyone in the UConn athletic department really going to advocate for jumping to a conference where they will make 1.5 million less and have to pay 12 million dollars in fees to do so---with an athletics budget that already looking at millions in budget cuts? I just dont see it.

That said---If the new deal is under 3 million--UConn could very well be gone (in fact--Id say its probable).
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 09:17 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-26-2018 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today? - Attackcoog - 04-26-2018 07:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.