Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
(03-30-2018 01:28 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 12:51 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 10:13 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Losing good AAC games will hurt. And it's there where the issue really lies. You can leave and fill up the slate with NMSU, Liberty, etc.., but, with exception of Army and BYU, and maybe some regional interest with UMass, that's a big hit losing the Houston's, UCF's, Navy's, Cincy's, and ECU's of your schedule. Those guys help bring in money the old-fashioned way when you host them...you won't see it as an independent, backfilling with SBC, CUSA, and FCS fare. They won't travel...neither will UConn fans to watch those games.

Except for Navy and now UCF, do those names actually resonate in the northeast, though? Because UConn football isn't drawing with those names on the schedule. They could do worse if you replace them with NMSU, UMass, and Liberty--or maybe not.

Yea, that's the thing - regardless of the quality of the teams, the AAC brands just don't draw in Connecticut. The fans will show up if UConn's winning, but they'll show up for an 8-4 independent team too. I honestly don't think there's a huge difference between ECU/USF/Houston and Charlotte/FAU/Rice in terms of getting people in the Hartford area to show up, just whether or not UConn's winning.

(03-30-2018 12:53 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 12:32 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-30-2018 12:23 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  this is byu's schedule for 2018...I really don't think we could get most of those p5 teams in the schedule

UConn likely wouldn't schedule Pac-12 teams like BYU does. Their P5 opponents would be primarily ACC and Big Ten teams.

UConn already has one P5 team on the schedule this year and two on every schedule from 2019-2023. UConn could get 4 or 5 P5 teams on an indy schedule, like BYU does.
I just don't think we could get the big name teams of the p5 conferences. obviously we can play our new England rivals from the acc and big ten (cuse, Pitt, Rutgers etc). But our chances of playing Miami of the acc, or penn state of the BIG are a lot lower then BYU playing USC, or Washington of the pac 12. BYU is a more attractive opponent. we would really struggle as an indy, with quality of opponents and overall field performance

UConn has no business playing the Penn States and Michigans of the world anyway. What exactly looks fun about being Rutgers the last couple years? If you can play some of the old BE teams and/or some of the more basketball-focused big money schools, like Kansas/Wake/Indiana, plus a mix of G5 and independent programs that's an entirely appropriate schedule for UConn.

i agree with you, but I'm just saying its gonna be a lot harder for UConn to get those attractive p5 opponents on the schedule then it would be for BYU. it can be tough for an indy to be anything with out a few big names on the schedule.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018 03:09 PM by Huskypride.)
03-30-2018 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today? - Huskypride - 03-30-2018 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.