Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU sports front and center is faculty protest over cuts and layoffs
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: EMU sports front and center is faculty protest over cuts and layoffs
(03-20-2018 01:13 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  EMU has transferred $200M from the institution (i.e., tax payer dollar) to Athletics. Students refused to support continuing the student fee. In 2009 the extended fee was not renewed dropping student funding from $8M per year to $1.5M, and three years ago even that $1.5M was not extended by the students. The cuts made today simply keep Football going, and the school subsidy just below $30M annually for the moment.

Revenues from rights run about $3M per year (MAC distributions, ESPN TV money, apparel etc), but ticket sales for all sports, excepting one blip up year, typically run under $250K, while donations fluctuate around $500K.

However Football budget ran $9,033,503 in 2016. An additional $9,497,427 was placed in the category of "not allocated by sport." But comparisons with similar programs without football from a higher cost state even (e.g., Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, UC Riverside) yielded $4,976,777, $5,025,499 and $4,108,498 was spent by the comparable institutions. Indicating perhaps 45-50% of the "not allocated by sport" money is Football related. Comparing non-Football schools in region (Wright State, Milwaukee, IUPUI) yielded even smaller "not allocated by sport" expenses of $3,859,273, $1,918,254, and $3,140,394, which suggests Football may actually be eating up 2/3rds of the not allocated by sport expenses.

So it appears football's true cost at EMU is somewhere between $13.7M and $15.2M, at least in 2016, but likely higher now. Even if you apply 100% of all ticket sales, donations, and rights/licensing to football it would come up to under $4M (most is $3M in rights or MAC). You can probably add most of the "other" category, which are body bag games to football, which seem to be above $2M, so a rough max revenue of $6M is possible. However this is a serious overestimate. Horizon schools still get about $1M for rights/licensing and that is probably a fair number to guess for EMU, and donations and ticket sales are likely around 50% football specific. That suggests the real football revenue stream is around $4.5M for EMU, almost 90% of that body bag games and MAC TV. This would put the net operating loss of running Football somewhere between $9.2M and $10.7M per year.

Revenue breakdowns from USA Today, Expense breakdowns from DOE Equity in Athletics website.

[commentary]

Since students refuse to pay even $1 in fees to support athletics, the logical move would be to drop to D-II and drop football altogether. That would probably dry up 90% of the $6M revenue athletics derive, but comparable sized schools in more expensive California in D-II spend only about $5M per year for 20+ sports if they don't have football. That would reduce the athletic budget over $25M per year, and reduce the annual deficit by almost $20M.

If Students are willing to pay a D-I fee of $400 ($200 per semester full time) or roughly $15 a credit unit, then I would say stay D-I and drop Football, to cut the budget in half to maybe $18M range and compete in the Missouri Valley. That would cut the annual deficit by about 2/3rds, and put the institutional transfers under $10M per year, which while higher than I like, would be comparable to most D-I institutions.

[/commentary]
Not allocated revenues/expenses are spread evenly over all the sports.

Most likely authorized institutional support that wasn't used.

Also FB expenses include scholarships which are an internal transfer of funds.

Budgets are set up to look balanced and bigger than what they actually are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
03-20-2018 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: EMU sports front and center is faculty protest over cuts and layoffs - Kittonhead - 03-20-2018 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.