ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat" Thread
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"...
(05-04-2018 10:15 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 06:26 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 04:38 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 12:40 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 12:27 PM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  Borat says Kazakstan is #1 in Potassium. Therefore, it's a great country.

The point being that a ranking or a number is just a number, until it's put into perspective. Beating 150+ RPI teams < Beating RPI 50-100 Teams. The only reason to feel good about racking up a bunch of wins against creampuffs, is that you know you're better than a creampuff. Not beating anybody of significance in big games is a dead end. It's analogous to taking your cousin to the prom. Sure, you have a date to the prom, but nothing is going to come of it. Unless you're from West Virginia, you're not going to marry her and start a family. And if you do, that "family" is going to look a lot like the CBI or CIT or Vegas 8/16.

Right but I'm ceding the point that obviously ODU could be better with regards to the postseason and beating two of their three big rivals while at the same time arguing the point that 96 wins in four seasons does NOT in and of itself mean that the program is bad or that the coach sucks.

FWIW, I think a lot of D1 programs would like to have ODU's last four seasons, postseason letdowns notwithstanding. That doesn't mean that things can't or shouldn't be better, but it's not like ODU is the Gardner-Webb JV squad or something.

But we're not lots of programs. We're ODU and post season play is expected. JJ record can never be viewed strictly in terms of wins/losses. That has no context. His record is vastly diminished when you cond=sider who his teams beat, who they lose to and how many post season tourneys his tams make. All things considered, he's failing IMHO.

JJ is exactly what many of us were afraid of. Able to deliver lots of cotton candy wins, not good enough to get us to the dance and not bad enough to fire.

Unpopular opinion time: This "we're not lots of programs; we're ODU and postseason play is expected" argument that's popular around here doesn't really hold up. ODU has three NCAA wins in its D1 history — VCU and George Mason beat that in one year and Richmond tied it. ODU has only been to back-to-back NCAAs twice. ODU has 11 NCAA appearances in the 40-ish seasons they've been in D1, tied with a bunch of schools for which the NCAAs are a reasonable goal but NOT an expectation (except Clemson, but that's because of how good that program is in the now). But the way people go on around here, you'd think this was Memphis enduring Tubby Smith.

ODU is a fine program with decent successes and great facilities. There's certainly no reason to think they *can't* be consistently good, or have an NCAA run similar to VCU's recent stretch. But I think treating is as some sort of, I dunno, entitlement doesn't jibe with their history.
Unpopular on here yet it's true. There's a reason why there's several fans on the conference board who hate us. Sometimes we come across as entitled and that we should be the best and this conference is a stepping stone for a move up, when in reality we've done jack since joining the conference unless you count losing championship games.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So you are saying we should be content with doing "jack"? Not sure I get your point. I also don't give a hoot what any of the fans on the conference board think about us. I don't know a single one of them and never will. We are definitely entitled to more success than we have seen in the last 6 years where we are 1-5 against VCU and W&M and 0 for 6 in NCAA appearances. We did have one decent year, but frankly, the fact that we crapped the bed and blew an exceptional opportunity due to our OOC success kind of ruined it. Being at the Ted for the Freeman buzzer beater salvaged what was really an extremely disappointing 2nd half of the season.
05-07-2018 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"... - EverRespect - 05-07-2018 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.