ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat" Thread
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"...
(05-05-2018 10:53 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(05-05-2018 09:14 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(05-04-2018 11:14 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  Not that it matters, but scoring 3 more points against Middle Tennessee doesn't give ODU two NCAA trips under Jeff.
Three points against Middle Tennessee = NCAA trip
One more win in 2014-15 = from NIT top seed to NCAA First Four
W&M prayer goes unanswered = from NIT bubble to NIT 6 seed

Quote:No point in playing the "what if" game when we have actual results - or lack thereof - to review. Otherwise, you could just as easily say that had ODU score three more points against Butler in DC, they could have gone to the Final Four instead of them, and defeated VCU there for the 3rd time that season to go to the NCAA Championship game.
That's actually not an unreasonable possibility, given that ODU matched up pretty well with the teams that they would have played, and I've brought that up as a what-if before. My point with this was to show how very subtle changes to three of their games would likely have given them *much* better results even though essentially they're the same team than one that we saw. Pointing out the fine line between "get this loser out of here" and "hail hail the conquering hero," unless people would be pushing for his ouster with 98 wins and two NCAA trips in four seasons. Which is certainly possible.

Quote:Had Jeff's ODU teams actually accomplished those things that you said above instead of pretending they did then I doubt very many on here would be hoping for something better coaching wise.
Which is exactly my point. If those breaks went his way, it's not as though the team would have been dramatically better. It would have been the same team with happier conclusions. Does he suddenly become a much better coach because of that?

Oh my god who gives a crap.

1 more basket against butler and maybe Blaine makes the final 4 and doesn’t destroy his life for the second time?

You know who plays hypotheticals? People who didn’t get it done the first time.

It's not theoretical what-if bull****, it's "this is how close ODU got to going to 2 NCAAs and an NIT instead of 1 NIT and no NCAAs". People act like ODU's a mid-pack MEAC team but they're a lot closer to "acceptable" than a lot of people here believe.
05-05-2018 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"... - Cyniclone - 05-05-2018 11:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.