Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: What ifs of realignment: the ACC goes to 12 in 1991
(02-22-2018 02:24 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 01:31 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 12:13 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 12:02 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-22-2018 10:53 AM)ken d Wrote:  What I would be interested in knowing is which four ACC teams voted for Syracuse in Corrigan's straw vote.

Well, it was just the AD's from what I understand, and not the presidents. Just a guess:

Syracuse - UNC, Duke, Wake, UVA

FSU - Clemson, UMD, GT, NCSU

Although, Maryland had long ties with Syracuse and GT could have gone either way. I think we'd have to look at who the AD's were at the time and which ones were more football-minded or football-influenced. I'm pretty sure UNC, Duke, and Wake were against expansion with FSU, and the final vote was 6-2. I think I remember Wake finally switching to a "yes", but I could be wrong.

After a little digging, it seems most likely:

Syracuse - UNC, Duke, Wake, UMD

FSU - Clemson, GT, NCSU, UVA

I've now read that Duke and Wake were the two most against FSU and that Duke and Maryland were. So who knows?

"Corrigan woke up on Sept. 12, 1990 certain he had the six votes necessary to move ahead and expand. Duke and Maryland, he knew, would cast the only no votes. He was even more certain that if the league agreed on expansion, adding Florida State would be nothing more than a formality.

In a matter of minutes, Corrigan saw all the hard work on the delicate issue come apart. Clemson, Georgia Tech and Virginia, the strongest supporters on the issue and FSU all along, voted for expansion. Duke and Maryland voted against, but to Corrigan's surprise, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Wake Forest abstained; the equivalent of three no votes."

In other words, in 1990, the ACC was far closer to failing to invite Florida State than they were to adding FSU plus 3 more schools.

And if the ACC had failed to invite Florida State, and FSU had then gone on to join the SEC... that would have started a chain of dominoes falling that probably would not have turned out well for the ACC.

Just as is the case in politics, a "no" vote doesn't necessarily mean that the voter is opposed to the issue. Often it means "what will you give me if I change my vote to "yes"?". And I don't mean to imply this is a bad thing to do. It may just be that the process of finding consensus is still going on. The trick is knowing when you have already gotten all you are going to get.

What does that mean?

According to that report, the realistic possibilities at the time of that vote were (1) no invitations, (2) invite FSU, (3) invite Syracuse. Cuse could have received the invitation if its AD hadn't been too clever by trying to play hard to get. And inviting 4 new members was never on the table. So my previous statement was correct: In 1990, the ACC was far closer to not inviting FSU than they were to inviting FSU plus 3 more.
02-22-2018 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What ifs of realignment: the ACC goes to 12 in 1991 - Wedge - 02-22-2018 10:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.