Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
RE: What was the Southland thinking?!
(01-22-2021 05:38 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 05:29 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 04:58 AM)Mav Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 01:41 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 12:00 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Move on to what?

I don't believe the WAC is their end goal but I'm not sure I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Where could they go? Surely not the Mountain West. CUSA is "full" and the Sun Belt has become a bit too big for those 3.

The only place I can think of is a newly founded conference. Perhaps just Texas schools. Excluding the FBS schools and Texas - Arlington, there are currently 11 Division I schools in Texas. Throw in West Texas A&M for a solid 12.

I think the WAC as a future “FBS league” is being greatly exaggerated. At least FBS as we know it. But that’s what this board does.
None of the recent Texas call-ups have had any real success at the FBS level. UNT has managed to parlay its 15 year head start on the rest into being a mid-tier CUSA program, UTSA has been so-so, and Texas State has been absolutely awful. I don't see why any of these programs, or even the conference would consider FBS at this point. They're better off trying to establish an MVC/CAA level power conference in the southwest.

Have any Aggie fans weighed in on what this means for their program? It's far easier to see NMSU dropping down than a WAC play for FBS any time soon, especially if they have FBS as a long-term goal.

What does that even mean?

In what world would it make any sense at all, to anyone, for NMSU to be FCS? Give up a profitable program at a higher level, to become a money loser at a lower level instead.... Explain what sense that idea makes as an option to even bring up.

He's saying it's easier to see NMSU drop to FCS than to see an FBS WAC, and I agree. However, the odds of NMSU dropping to FCS aren't great, which tells you how slim the odds of an FBS WAC are.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. NMSU is in the same situation Idaho was in, where they now have an FCS conference their Olympic sports are in, with a footprint they fit squarely in the middle of waiting to welcome them.

I poked around a little, and it looks like NMSU's AD refuses to even consider the thought, and instead wants to wait for the rest of the conference to join them where he feels they belong. Bold. I like it.
01-22-2021 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was the Southland thinking?! - Mav - 01-22-2021 03:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.