Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia vs Alabama in title game, who will watch ?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Georgia vs Alabama in title game, who will watch ?
(01-03-2018 11:37 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 11:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The problem is the polls were trying to mirror the selection committee process.

There's little evidence that this happens, in fact, on the crucial decision day, the polls come out before the CFP. E.g., this year, both the AP and coaches polls came out with Alabama at #4 before the CFP released its final rankings. So if anything, one can argue that the CFP took its tip from the polls, not vice-versa.

But even if so, that doesn't address the computer problem - they had UCF way out of the playoffs too.

I agree that maybe a 8 or 16 team playoff would be better. There is a happy medium that balances the problem of allowing deserving teams in while keeping undeserving teams out (an equally bad problem). E.g., most pro leagues, for money reasons, have playoffs that let undeserving teams in - the Tennessee Titans are in the NFL playoffs with a 9-7 record, NBA teams make the playoffs with 40 losses, etc. They don't belong in the playoffs, but they are in because of the money.

On the other hand, for college football, 4 may be too little. But even if it is, since $$$ is always the most important thing, not competitive purity, the dollars will decide it.

The key in my mind is to avoid the error of keeping the best team out, not the error of allowing an undeserving team in who simply gets hot-at least they won it on the field. I think TCU was the best team in 2014 and they got kept out. I think Oklahoma St. was better than LSU in 2011 and instead, they gave Alabama a 2nd shot at LSU. I believe very strongly Texas was the best team in 2008 and they got kept out. I don't think UCF is top 8. 12 was about right. But by going to 8, they can have room for an unbeaten team with a weaker schedule by guaranteeing a slot to the best G5 champ.

I don't believe UCF is necessarily better than Auburn anymore than I believe 2008 Utah was better than 2008 Alabama. They were better prepared and motivated and the better team that day. And that didn't surprise me at all. UCF IS good and Auburn wanted to be somewhere else. Auburn beat Georgia 40-17 at home when they were playing a #1 team that had already clinched its division while they were facing a do or die game. Then Auburn lost to UGA 28-7 at a neutral site when both had everything on the line. College teams are very variable based on motivation.
01-03-2018 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Georgia vs Alabama in title game, who will watch ? - bullet - 01-03-2018 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.