Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
(12-10-2017 08:32 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 11:36 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 05:10 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  I believe when c7 made their announcement, the only school that was actually gone was WVU. Cuse and Pitt were in their last year and everyone else was trying to sort out the timeline for their departure. ND wanted to get out asap and not have to wait like Louisville and Rutgers ended up doing. They didn't want to be part of the American if they could avoid it

Not true. The C7 announcement wasnt until December of 2012. However, I remember there was a lot smoke involving a C7 split as early as the summer of 2012.

I think Gosports1 meant that Syracuse and Pitt were still in their Big East "lame duck" year when the C7 announced.

Quote:Notre Dame announced it was leaving the Big East on 09/12/2012. I think we can safely assume the Notre Dame/ACC deal had been in the works well before that date. Conversations probably went back to the summer of 2012 (if not earlier). That would explain why the rumors of a C7 split were circulating in the summer of 2012. If they got wind of the Notre Dame situation, I think its pretty likely they started looking into alternative strategies (especially since they knew the prenup existed).

I think the C7 was whiteboarding a split from the day Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving, and especially after the SEC took Missouri and the Big 12 was targeting Big East teams. It would have been irresponsible not to, since the Big EAst losing Louisville or UConn was likely to happen if ANYBODY expanded. NOTE: Notre Dame leaving or not was not a driving factor--losing Louisville or UConn on top of Syracuse would have been the driving factors.

Particularly when you consider replacing one or both of them with Tulane or ECU. The basketball product was going to be diluted.
12-10-2017 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East - megadrone - 12-10-2017 09:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.