UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scarbo: Don't prop up Legion Field; Birmingham needs a new stadium
Blazerstadium Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: an OCS
RE: Scarbo: Don't prop up Legion Field; Birmingham needs a new stadium
(12-05-2017 12:26 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 11:18 AM)Blazerstadium Wrote:  Birmingham has the World Games coming in just a few years, and it will be here fast. They need to do something to facilitate those events. I know Jonathan Austin had purpose lightrail a few years ago, now he is gone and nothing has been said in a couple years about it.

Just wondering, since we don't seem to control the stadium situation in any way, if they were to bandage up LF, would a light rail route from campus to the stadium help in any way???

This argument between the old and a new is so tiring, I just wish something would happen and we could move on. Otherwise we will always be in limbo, and that sucks.

You'd need about a mile to a mile and a half, depending on where on campus you located the station. That's probably $50 to $75 million, making a really raw guess (recent costs have been $43 mill/mile in Norfolk to $205 in Milwaukee). Some expenses would be on the high end since you're not able to spread the cost of the rolling stock over a larger system, though the land should be mostly condemnable.

I love light rail, but it's probably more realistic to build a walkable greenway from campus to Legion Field, connecting to Railroad Park and on to Sloss.

Looking at a map, wonder if they used the existing rail lines from railroad park towards LF, how much would it cost. They could buy land south of LF towards Hwy 11, with a station. Wouldn't drop you further from the stadium then the most eastern part of the existing parking lot.

That was part of Austins idea, was to use existing rail lines.

Side note, I'd like to see the property of LF and Rickwood joined with an entertainment district, hotels, meeting spaces. A lot of money, but would completely change that area of the city.
12-05-2017 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scarbo: Don't prop up Legion Field; Birmingham needs a new stadium - Blazerstadium - 12-05-2017 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.