Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"West Virginia or UConn would have been a better choice."
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: "West Virginia or UConn would have been a better choice."
(10-04-2017 05:43 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:29 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:16 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  In defense of adding Louisville it accomplished a few things:

1. It kept them away from the Big 12
2. If adding UConn was enough to set off Florida St and Clemson it could have blown up the entire conference. The Big 12 was courting them hard and was hoping to possibly add others to form an eastern wing. If Florida St and Clemson are the first to move it would have led to the SEC and Big Ten declaring open season. The Big Ten would aim for the AAU schools while the SEC would try to achieve their goal of an inroad into VA and NC. In the end it might be WF and a few others that UConn would be joining.

Yea, I've been convinced those four pro rata slots the Big 12 had from ESPN/Fox were intended for FSU/Clemson and eventually UNC/Duke. FSU/Clemson had a temporary window where they had functional veto power over any addition, and they used it to get the add they wanted even if it wasn't the most popular selection. It makes sense.

I think Florida St and Clemson are the two obvious ones that they would have gotten.

The Big Ten would be going for the pool including UVA, UNC, Duke, GT, Pitt, and non-AAU BC. I think they go with the first 4 but they might take just 2.

The SEC grabs VT and NC St.

Big 12 options for companion schools to go with Clemson and Florida St include Miami, Louisville, Pitt, Cuse, and BC. Grab 4 and you have 16. Should the Big Ten leave more options behind you could grab from that group too.

Big 10 wanted dibs on the top ACC schools. They wanted Florida State and Clemson.

Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia are tv ratings gold. Virginia Tech and NC State to the SEC. The rest do not have the tv ratings to justified for SEC and Big 10 to expand with.

Boston College, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse Louisville are stuck in a no-mans land. Big 12 was interested in Miami with Florida State, Georgia Tech and Clemson, but they drugged their feet. I just do not see any value with Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Duke and Wake Forest since it is football that is driving the realignment. Duke does not have a history as a blue blood football team, and with a small stadium?
10-04-2017 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "West Virginia or UConn would have been a better choice." - DavidSt - 10-04-2017 06:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.