mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: OT: College bball fraud & corruption arrest by FBI overnight
(09-28-2017 09:49 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 09:31 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 08:07 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 07:16 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(09-28-2017 06:17 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  They likely are in most cases. Just no one to enforce that. And LE allows the NCAA to impose it's own sanctions historically, which are generally the $100 hand shakes of which the FBI has no interest in. But obviously things have changed over the years in how it is done and the amount of money involved. Aside from some point shaving investigations the federal govt has rarely gotten involved. Obviously this breaks ranks as the environment has evolved and become big business.

The amount also matters. To get a federal fraud conviction the amount has to be over $5K.

Yeah, I'd say the amount and the way it was structured. Boosters can always say it's a gift, which is not illegal but against NCAA regulations. It'd be tough to prove quid pro quo in those instances. It seems they have plenty of proof of a somewhat elaborate scheme to funnel the money in this case.

It's going to be interesting to see once this settles down and people start leaking on what really took place. I never take something like this at face value. Especially when it comes to laws being used that most people probably didn't know existed. Or never used this way in a case of recruits getting money.

Something in my head keeps thinking that if a investigation that started in 2015..should have a lot more than 4 asst coaches with charges. So as I hinted to before....

how hard did this "undercover" person have to push it before it crossed into being criminal offense. Other words who suggested what. If this was going on before the guy got caught breaking federal crimes why only 4 coaches in 2 years. Why did it take to the very end to get the Louisville asst coach caught up in it. Something just doesn't set right with me on this. Never under estimate how far someone looking to move up and someone looking to avoid federal prison will go to get those.

But in the end I think this helps the school that can't afford to buy players with 100k. Maybe the NCAA makes the AAU circuit off limits to coaches.

You think financial advisors don't know what wire fraud and money laundering are?

I'm saying that a few article I read today said people were surprised that kicking players money broke federal laws.

As for financial advisors that means nothing...context would have to tell you if it was their friend down the street or someone doing it for a living.

But most people do not know federal crimes

Quote:Perhaps the most revealing part of the past 48 hours came from numerous conversations with coaches and assistants throughout the sport. There’s a near-universal admission that they had no sense that the activities of coaches, agents and sneaker company reps were against the law. (The NCAA’s impotent enforcement department had been incapable of policing the grassroots underworld for decades.) The culture of the activities described in the federal court documents – buying players, steering players and brokering deals for kickbacks – has become such an engrained part of the sport’s culture that there was widespread shock that it was raised to federal government implications. The activities the feds are investigating, to many in college basketball, were considered business as usual.

Here's a quote from one of those advisors to an undercover agent:

Federal documents allege that at one point Dawkins, the agent, told the undercover officer in reference to funneling money to players that they’d want it to “not be completely accounted for on paper because of it is, whatever you want to call it, illegal.”

I think they knew what they were doing was wrong, this guy clearly knew it was illegal. If they didn't think that clandestinely wiring someone hundreds of thousands of dollars was illegal than they're idiots. Which some of these coaches may be.
09-28-2017 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: College bball fraud & corruption arrest by FBI overnight - mturn017 - 09-28-2017 10:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.