Teacher slams patriotic shirts, kicks students out of class
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Teacher slams patriotic shirts, kicks students out of class
(09-06-2017 05:17 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 03:19 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 12:13 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 03:33 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I don't know about this school but in many schools, it is district policy to not allow political shirts to be worn.

While she may have not handled it in the proper way, she actually did the right thing.

Yes, free speech should be squashed whenever possible.

Free speech is not absolute. Just as you can't scream fire in a theater, you cannot express your political leaning at school if it infringes of the learning of others.

Yeah, I believe that one.

Just this afternoon my daughter called me. She was distraught.

Background: She's a homeschooled high school senior and is taking Dual Enrollment classes at the University of Memphis.

Knowing she would soon be heading to college I've been preparing her for the coming assault on her conservative beliefs.

Classes started last week. This past Monday was a holiday, so today was her 3rd time in a college classroom.

After class today (General Psychology and English Comp) she called me. Her English professor talked about their first writing assignment. It's on Malcolm X. That took him to a lengthy rant about his disdain for white Christians and for Trump.

She was livid. She even said it's not about his personal beliefs, but that he's ranting when she's there -- paying tuition -- to actually learn something.

I told her how proud of her I am. We talked about ways to approach the issue and will talk further about it.

But her anger in reaction to his rantings made my day.

So, what were you saying about not being able to "express your political leaning at school if it infringes of the learning of others?"

College is a whole other can of worms. It's not public school and she is paying for those classes. If she doesn't like it, she should go to the dean and get another class.

College is about challenging your beliefs. If you want your little girl to remain the way she is and believe only what you want her to believe then you should encourage her to quit college.

If you want her to see the world from a different perspective however and become educated enough to make her own decisions about society then be prepared for her to become something you may not have hoped for. In the end remember that she is your daughter and her politics shouldn't be an issue.
09-07-2017 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teacher slams patriotic shirts, kicks students out of class - Fitbud - 09-07-2017 11:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.