Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Imagine an SEC schedule with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State
(08-10-2017 01:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 01:17 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 12:17 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 12:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  SEC basketball is a sleeper that is just starting to wake up. South Carolina and Florida are improving. L.S.U. has been down for too long but has potential. Alabama and Auburn are just starting to reinvest in it. If we could separate for the NCAA and the schools could earn their true tournament revenue instead of the skimmed credits that have allowed the NCAA to squirrel away 1 Billion in endowed funds from the tournament (70 million a year) then you would see a much bigger emphasis placed on the game.

After Iger's announcement yesterday it will be interesting to see if the SEC and ACC stop at 16, 18, or 20. As Disney moves toward streaming their own product, especially since Iger said they would invest more in original programming (including sports which means more rights purchases) it calls many things into question and I would suspect the ACCN is one of them. They'll get their network, but how much more of a market will ESPN want to secure for them before the 2019 launch? Will they enhance the linear channel aspect, or seek to maximize the more selective streaming aspects for these games? It could yet get very interesting.

I wanted to start a thread on the new Disney/ESPN service coming next year, but there wasn't enough enough to properly debate about. Disney did announce that the season packages involving baseball, NHL and MLS would be Available through their app. The live streaming content was very vague, so it's basically a measure where ESPN could offer a separate service from the cable/satellite companies if they do choose. NCAA conference networks have to be a huge part of this formula.

For now, ESPN can't offer all the same content via a streaming service because they would tick off their partners in the cable industry. Ultimately, ESPN would lose money itself if people switch before the market demand is high enough.

So I think the new streaming service is a trial run/forerunner to what they will do in the not too distant future when cord cutting takes its full effect.

I think what they can offer though is sports content that they don't have room for on their networks. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of MLS or other niche sports that could be used to attract a unique audience. In other words, an audience that might not necessarily be interested in the lower rungs of sports they can already watch the prime events for on the major networks.

The difference is in listening to what ESPN reports and what CNBC reports. ESPN was vague in reporting Disney details and certainly they aren't quite sure yet where they will fit into what Disney is talking about. They know change is coming, and has come with the layoffs, but I doubt that the changes that Disney is hinting will hit by 2019 will be revealed just yet.

On the business channel however, the reporters and shareholders ask more questions and Iger is a little more forthcoming. It was from his interview there that I learned they intend to spend more in original programming of which sports was specifically named. Well if you are going to have more original sports programming that translates to me as less talk and more action and specifically more football games.

So I'll be looking to see which schools ESPN nails down to acquire more rights and then I think you will see them have dedicated games to ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC. And dedicated games to the SECN and ACCN. And the rest of the inventory streamed, or brokered to FS1, FS2, etc.

I think Iger's remarks meant that Disney channels would have an emphasis on new programming, and the sports would have more emphasis on actual contests in whatever sport. If so I think that is a terrific approach.

If the first pick games each week are dedicated to the cable networks and the other P games are available to fans of those schools via streaming I don't think that takes away from anything, but it does add revenue.

Right now I watch SEC baseball on ESPN & SECN. But because I purchased the right through that subscription I watched a lot of SEC baseball on my laptop. One does not rob from the other.

It should be interesting.

If ESPN is dedicated to acquiring more content then the simplest way to do that with regard to the Big 12 is to totally disband the thing sooner than later. As the market model continues to devolve then that's clearly the best content available in college sports.

You mentioned on another thread that technically ESPN and FOX lease content from the PAC and that ultimately they have less control and pay out less money for it. Well, unless that arrangement takes a drastic change in the near future then it might be that the PAC doesn't offer enough value for ESPN to be motivated to move quality schools there.

Perhaps dividing up at least 8 schools between the SEC and ACC is their desired course of action?

It's also been rumored that the American will look at other options beyond ESPN(streaming options that is) when their contract comes up soon. But if ESPN makes a few moves to enhance the value of the American then there's an awful lot of extra content they can offer via streaming. You've already touched on some of that by suggesting ESPN was using the American to acquire full control of certain markets. Being that the AAC's contract comes up for bid sooner than later then perhaps that is yet another motivation to make a grand move soon. The AAC obviously isn't as valuable as the P5, but it's good content at a good price nonetheless. I don't think ESPN would want to lose them.

I tried to come up with a good way to split 8 although it's hard to give both leagues 4 members each that bring something to the table.
08-10-2017 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Imagine an SEC schedule with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State - AllTideUp - 08-10-2017 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.