Monarchblue Online
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019
(12-05-2019 10:14 AM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 09:27 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 09:19 AM)mac Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 10:35 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 06:41 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Don't get all the focus on bigs. They have never played a meaningful role on any of JJ's teams. Stats or not, the reason we are bad this year has nothing to do with the loss of Robinson, or the lack of offensive production in the post.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I respect your opinion but I respectfully disagree with some of your statement. I agree our scoring problems have nothing ( or little) to do with Robinson leaving. However I think our lack of production has a lot to do with our post scoring. BJ Stith did not play center but he played the 4 a lot and he scored a ton of points off curls in or around the paint. That opened up the outside game for us. I bet if you could compare the three point attempts X is getting right now compared to last year they are twice as hard. It’s not all because he is the main guy and it’s not because he is worse than last year. Part of it is because there is nobody down low scoring the ball, regardless of whether it is a center or power forward.
In the NCAA last year against Purdue our offense looked horrible and a lot to do with BJ having a slump at a bad time. But he was basically the only weapon we had last year that could score in the paint and it created all kinds of problems when he didn’t do that. In today’s game you don’t necessarily need a Gerald Lee to post up but you at least need somebody that can score with ease in the paint. BJ could do that.
I know I for one overestimated ( at least early on) what Kalu or Dickens would produce in the paint. I pictured Kalu as a guy that would not necessarily post up but would hit the 8-10 foot jumper with ease. That hasn’t happened. If that does start to click or the light comes on for Dickens I think we will see Godwin, X, Oliver, get some wide open looks they will knock down. Right now Godwin and X have guys all over them. Some type of low post scoring could turn that around. We need that to happen soon.

Exactly right. Excellent post!

This at the rim stuff doesn’t apple since BJ was great ( first2/3 of season) at getting into the lane and shooting those 10-12 foot jumpers.

Again, he rarely shot in the lane. You are talking about less than 10% of shots ignoring transition layups/dunks.

BJ’s shots were not necessarily in the lane but there were a lot of mid range jumpers that drew attention and led to open threes for Godwin, X, Caver. Sure, BJ was a jump shooter and not a back to the basket kind of player but he was effective getting to the rim. That also opened up some of those dunk opportunities that Dickens and Kalu got last year. My point I am trying to make is I think the lack of post scoring has a good bit to do with poor scoring from the perimeter as well.

Getting open 3s is not the problem for this team. Nobody is guarding them out to the line. That's why they are shooting so many even when they can't make them.
12-05-2019 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - bit_9 - 08-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 04-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 09-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - odu09 - 12-04-2019, 05:51 PM
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019 - Monarchblue - 12-05-2019 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.