Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Let's Assume that the Final Phase in Realignment Is About the CFP
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Let's Assume that the Final Phase in Realignment Is About the CFP
Between increasing the number of Power vs Power match-ups during the regular season and expanding the playoff, there's not much left in the way of innovation for the networks to make additional money. So I think it's reasonable that realignment will be based around these 2 goals.

I still think ESPN holds an edge though because of the quality of their platform. FOX, in a way, is just piggybacking off the industry that ESPN built and in so doing is getting their slice of the pie.

I'm not sure the CCGs will be going away, but let's also consider that if they do then we get an extra week of the season to spread out the games. That may affect the way the scheduling model is generated.

A few things to keep in mind, Slive thinks we're going to really, really large conferences in the next move. He's probably got a good feel for what's going to happen assuming even he's not still in the loop which he may very well be despite not having actual authority. If we do move to even larger leagues then I think getting rid of the CCGs will be very hard because there's no real way to determine a champion and to my knowledge there's no NCAA sport where conferences don't determine champions through some sort of postseason event.

Let me offer another reason why it might actually work better for the networks to keep CCGs for Power leagues even if we get an expanded playoff.

Regardless of who goes where, let's say the idea of adding the preseason game against G5s or FCS schools comes to fruition. Let's say that occurs the last week of August so as not to interfere with the current numbers of weeks allotted for the schedule.

Week Zero: Preseason game against G5 or FCS: Games do not count towards overall record, but provide an extra home game.

Weeks 1-4: 64-72 teams playing equals 32-36 games spread across all the platforms each week

Let's theorize that each network can show 3 games per day without having to worry about overlapping game times...assuming 3 and half hours per game with a little time in between for talking heads. ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, FOX, FS1, BTN, PACN. Allowances are made for CBS to show their customary 1-2 games. If all of these networks are showing games all day then that's 31 time slots and sometimes 32 if CBS gets a double header. So we can go ahead and assume at least one of these networks will show a 4th game, a late West Coast game I'm guessing, on a regular basis. 32 is about all we have room for while keeping the start times reasonable unless another platform is utilized. If everyone has 18 teams then we've got 36 games a week so maybe that's far-fetched if for no more reason than there's really nowhere to put them unless the networks fork over enough to add a platform.

Weeks 5-9: BYEs are scheduled during this block. Everybody gets one so that reduces the number of games available each week

Weeks 10-13: 32-36 games each week

Week 14: CCGs and first round of G5 playoff

Starting the G5 Playoff the same week as the CCGs will do 2 things, it will allow for the networks to schedule the G5 playoff ahead of the CFP so as to have time to get all the games in and not have the events overlap. Instead of a 2-3 week break for major college football like we've got now, the networks will have some interesting inventory for thirsty fans. It's also an opportunity to keep the fans plugged in and use every chance to plug not only the CFP but more bowl games. I don't think we should underestimate the value of cross marketing there.

Why does keeping the CCGs allow for a more robust lineup? Because if you stay with Week 14 being just the final week of the season and likely a week for rivalry games then you'll have a full slate and take away from the opportunity to plug the G5 playoff. Use the CCGs for headliners that weekend while the break in the schedule for everyone else will offer plenty of time to make hay over the big G5 games. The G5 playoff is potentially a big money maker during an otherwise low point in the season.

Week 15: Power schools take break while G5s go 2nd round

Week 16: G5s perhaps have their championship game because I'm assuming there'll be at least 8 teams involved and probably more for the sake of inventory.

Week 17: We're right around Christmas now. Bowl season begins and is anchored by the 1st round of an 8 team CFP.

Week 18: New Year's week contains more bowl games and CFP's 2nd semi-finals.

Week 19: National Championship game and possibly a few mop-up bowls. So we're ending the season in the same week we're ending it now.
07-28-2017 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's Assume that the Final Phase in Realignment Is About the CFP - AllTideUp - 07-28-2017 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.