TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
RE: California's Travel Ban - Ramifications
(07-05-2017 11:00 AM)bearcat65 Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 10:10 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 08:21 AM)bearcat65 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 08:01 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:56 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  FCS Championship in Frisco, Texas. The three California schools, if they go into the playoffs and get to that point will be in a pickle as well.

Potentially, the California teams would have to forfeit. It would be the end of either championships in certain states, or the end of the NCAA.

I doubt it's the end of the NCAA and I doubt the California state government is going to risk the backlash they would be sure to receive if one of their state schools were to be forced to forfeit the opportunity to play in a major bowl or national championship game due to it being played in a state on their ban list. If that occurs then hopefully networks have the intestinal fortitude to either sue them or strip them of P5 status. If either occurs then adjustments to the ban would most likely be made.

Sue them? For what? Obeying California state law? The state of California OWNS the Athletic Department at UCLA and SDSU. Its their property and they can do with it what they wish.

Who would really kick up sand if say Cal had to forfeit a bowl game? Sure there'd be some alumni who are upset (and they'd be loud), but its Cal....I think you overstate how important FBS football is to the average Californian or the average Cal student.

Who would take away P5 status for UCLA and Cal? The networks? Do you think the Pac12 would expel them for that? I promise you all hell would break lose at pretty much EVERY Pac12 institution (from significant portions of their own student bodies and alumni) if they tried that.

And the NCAA isn't going impose sanctions on schools for refusing to subject their students and fans to discrimination in other states.

So no, if California wants to do this, and other states want to join them, then there's little that can be done to change it.

If USC makes it to the play off and doesn't go because they would play in a banned state wouldn't that give the networks grounds for a lawsuit? To be honest I don't know but I would think they would.

We are a private school.....
07-05-2017 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: California's Travel Ban - Ramifications - TrojanCampaign - 07-05-2017 09:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.