Bookmark and Share
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
RE: Way Too Early Recruiting Rankings
(06-22-2017 09:46 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 10:47 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  
(06-21-2017 06:00 PM)AtlantaJag Wrote:  
(06-21-2017 02:43 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/sbelt

Missing about 5 of our commits and we have a transfer from Ball State and one from Boise.

Christian Howard

Howard is coming this year as a late add.

Cameron Myers

Just in case some don't know this, transfers from four-year schools aren't added in recruiting rankings.
We know this but just in case some don't know, those players play football and have the same impact. It is one reason recruiting rankings are more useless than they ever were.

But do we know why recruiting services don't include them? The answer is that they have little to no video they can use to rank those players again since most did not see significant action at their previous school. Using their rankings from high school or JUCO would rarely ever be accurate since they probably weren't ranked correctly to begin with or they would have played more (at least those coming from P5 schools).
Case in point, LB/S Shawn Jennings is transferring to South Alabama from Alabama. He was a pretty high three-star player coming out of high school but redshirted his only year at UA. Thanks to being an early enrollee, he's has two springs and a fall at Alabama, so he's likely a better player now than in high school, but how good is anyone's guess. Maybe he was accurately rated in high school but can't break through Alabama's depth or maybe he was overrated originally but now may have improved enough to be worthy. It's impossible to know.
I know it's frustrating to not have these players included in recruiting classes, but the difficulty in judging them and the wide variations in how much experience they have and eligibility remaining makes leaving them out of class rankings the right move, in my opinion.
Sorry if my initial response seemed like I was talking down to you. That wasn't my intent. There are some folks that request transfers be added to commit lists all the time without realizing that they aren't there for a reason. That's who I was talking to.
I'll see about adding Ark St's commitments to the 247 list, but I'm surprised the Scout lists aren't already being used to update them.
It is no more difficult to evaluate or rank. HS film is hard to judge due to varying levels of competition. Take our starting QB, Justice Hansen. Four star guy out of HS. RS for one year, transfer to JC for one year then to ASU. He didn't play and fail. He likely got beat out by another 4 star at OU. You can't say he is a 3 star minimum as easily as you can some kid from a 2A school in LA? You can't look at his HS film and the camps he went to 2 yeas ago? Of course you could but that is more work and the goal of recruiting services is entertainment to drive subscriptions. Accuracy and thorough evaluation is not the goal and cannot be achieved when they allow people with no experience to weigh in on the ratings. YOu do your best to make the subscribers happy.
06-26-2017 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Way Too Early Recruiting Rankings - Crump1 - 06-26-2017 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.