Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ND joining the ACC for football not so far fetched....
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: ND joining the ACC for football not so far fetched....
(05-14-2017 08:44 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 08:28 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  The most likely scenario for Notre Dame joining the ACC in football, IMO:
1. The Irish go many years without a playoff berth, while the ACC champ keeps making it
2. The ACC beats the Irish on a regular basis, making it look less like a step down
3. NBC signs up a conference like the AAC for football, making ND less important
4. ACC media rights continue to increase in value.

All of these are plausible, and together put ND in a "why not join" situation. The ACC will not attempt to "force" ND to join for football, however.

JMO

Mark I think they join sooner rather than later and I don't think it will take 15 years. And if you beat them regularly they might look at the Big 10. But, I would expect that NBC might be one of the bidders on the SEC T1 rights in 2022 when we are getting ready for renewal with CBS. But, NBC won't be the only bidder.

Notre Dame really has a decision to make this time. They can take the ACC plunge and help to be a catalyst for the increased value of your media rights, remain secure by helping to secure the last conference in which they can find a comfortable fit, the right mix of sports (outside of hockey), and schools with compatible missions. Or, they can wait in the wings as demographics slowly constrain all of their objectives.

In other words it's bend or break time. I think South Bend bends South.

I predict that ND does nothing, JR. There is too much opposition and inertia at ND about this subject.

I think that the current discussion is all Brando running his mouth again, like last year.

But, you are correct that IF ND football joins a conference, it will be the ACC.

It sure as hell would not be the Big Ten. That is not even remotely in the cards.

As I said in the post above, in a worse case scenario, ND can milk indy status unless/until its football program is ruined, then activate the contract and join the ACC.

I am still talking years from now, even in a worse case scenario----not that I believe such a scenario will occur.

For all the talk about how bad ND has been, it won 12 games in 2012, 9 in 2013, 8 in 2014 and 10 in 2015. Not elite, but not as bad a recent record as others would have one believe.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 08:59 AM by TerryD.)
05-14-2017 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ND joining the ACC for football not so far fetched.... - TerryD - 05-14-2017 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.