Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Berry Tramel: Would the Big Ten welcome OU?
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Berry Tramel: Would the Big Ten welcome OU?
There is something very important you guys are overlooking in the Oklahoma and Texas realignment scenario.

That is..... neither OU nor Texas want to go to the SEC. Believe me,
I have lived almost my entire life in both Oklahoma and Texas and have always followed college football in both states.

The Oklahoma Administration has said they want no part of the SEC culture. If they go to the SEC, it will because they could not get into the Big10 or work an arrangement with the PAC. My good friend JRsec disagrees and he is very knowledgeable and I respect his opinion, but he does represent a SEC point of view..

Let me say now that I do not really have a dog in this fight. I am more of a college football fan than a particular school fan. If OU and Texas go to the SEC...fine....the Big10 or PAC, fine with me. I do like the AAC and Big12, because the schools I follow are in those conferences. I agree with JR on one thing, I believe it would be best for all of college football if OU and Texas went to the PAC to balance the power.

There are some, mostly younger vocal OU fans that would like the SEC. But they are in the minority and certainly do not speak for the powers that be and the big donors. However, it is very apparent to this novice that the Oklahoma powers prefer the Big10 for academics, potential research money, geography, and athletics among other things. I am sure they would like for Texas to join them, but I think they will go with or without them, even though there are risks if Texas declines....unless the PAC intervenes. More on that later.

IF OU does not get an invite to the Big10, I believe their next choice is the PAC. However, that may well require Texas going also. It happened last time. Neither will accept being placed on an Island. So that would require probably OSU, Tech, and possibly Kansas and K-State. That eliminates most of the travel and time zone concerns. If neither of those come to pass, then I think OU and OSU would go to the SEC.

I am not as sure what Texas might do, because of the LHN and their ties with ESPN. JR and others know a lot more about that than I do.
But I do know that Texas does not like the SEC culture either and the thought of following little brother would be hard to swallow.

Five years from now the LHN will not be such a big deal. I think all things being equal Texas prefers the BIG for the same reasons OU does.
But the PAC might be easier to work with. If so I believe that will be their next choice.

However, if OU and KU leave for the Big10, Texas might work a Notre Dame/ACC type deal with the remaining Big12 schools. Texas is not going to accept a similar deal with the ACC....too far.

There is going to be a very high stakes chess game when the Big10 starts negotiations with the networks in about three years.

It may come down to which conference makes the first move and I would not be surprised to see Larry Scott make another run at the Big12. If he does and Texas agrees, then OU would likely go along with OSU and forget the Big10. So if Texas agrees to go to the BIG with OU then that is it, if not then the PAC could be in play.

Stay tuned.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 07:03 PM by SMUmustangs.)
05-25-2017 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Berry Tramel: Would the Big Ten welcome OU? - SMUmustangs - 05-25-2017 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.