Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
(04-06-2017 08:36 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 07:27 AM)lew240z Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 10:12 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  In New Mexico and Southern Colorado, never ever refer to a Hispanic person as MEXICAN. They consider themselves "SPANISH"

As a native of Pueblo, CO, this is absolutely untrue. Even friends of mine whose ancestors settled in the San Luis Valley and Espanola, NM way before the country Mexico existed refer to themselves as Mexican. The only people I have ever heard of claiming to be Spanish also claim to be descendants of the holders of the original Spanish land grants.

Also, in that area highways are "roots", but the paperboy has a "rout" as in a massive defeat. And that nut is a pe KAHN. Soda and pop are both used.

And to stay on topic, none of the Colorado D2 schools are candidates to move to the MVC. :)

I guess I took it the other way: is this actually referring to identifying all Hispanics as Mexicans or idenitfying people from Mexico as Spanish? Both would be incorrect as applied generally. The former would be like identifying all Asians as Chinese (even if they're from Japan or other Asian countries) or identifying all Caucasians as Italian. That's applying a specific nationality incorrectly to an entire racial category. The latter is more along the lines of what you were thinking: if someone is actually from Mexico or is of Mexican heritage, then they generally identify as Mexican unless they can trace their roots back to Spanish landholders. If someone is actually from or has ancestors from another Latin American country and you call them "Mexican", that's obviously very wrong.

It's very confusing Frank. Even though New Mexico Hispanics are a big mix of everything, they have (not always of course) less mestizo blood usually than Hispanics from Texas or California. New Mexico was part of Spain for 300 years. Mexico for 12. Its own territory for decades and finally a state from 1912 until now. Is anyone 100% Spanish there? Probably not. It's a label they choose to use. I can give a ton of more info on this subject but unless you've been there, it's very hard to understand and I can already tell, believe. It's an interesting place.
04-06-2017 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein) - billybobby777 - 04-06-2017 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.