Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Season-opening Stanford Football Game Moved to Sydney, Australia???
BufflOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Winning
RE: Season-opening Stanford Football Game Moved to Sydney, Australia???
(12-10-2016 03:54 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 11:18 PM)BufflOwl Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 10:34 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 08:31 PM)BufflOwl Wrote:  Simple question if that's only option why do we have so many senior staff positions whose job it is to fundraise, market, analyze business data, generate revenue and more? Perhaps we can save money by letting go of the people who are supposed to be bringing it in and can't. Then we can just play body bag games to fund the programs. Lol @ "New Vision". #RiceRising
We have those people and they do a pretty good job. But this game promises to pay about what the Owl Club raises in a year.
You cannot run an athletic program without dealing with economic realities.
How in the hell do you expect things to work?
Query--If we go 2-10 in 2017 and this turns out to be the money we need to buy out the last year of Bailiff's contract, how do you feel about it then?
I don't care if we fire Bailiff. I just care that we've been told the 3 years now how there is a new vision and new people and new plan. However, as you are so eloquently explaining for us the reality of how things work is this is just how it is. Body bag games because nobody can get the endowment, Owl Club or ticket sales up enough to fund the department much less fund a buyout. Thanks for making it abundantly clear nothing has changed at Rice in ever.

There is a new vision and new people and a new plan, and things are changing. If you think a new plan is going to work without money, then please explain.

While you're explaining, please explain how playing Stanford in Sydney is a body bag game, but playing Stanford at HRS is not. Do they have some special breed of scary people that they can take to Sydney but not Houston? Exactly why are we going to need body bags for Sydney but not at home?

I call these money bag games, and quite frankly we need more of them. This program needs to do every single thing it possibly can to increase revenues.

There is not enough money to do what needs to be done. The BOT is not going to write a blank check, nor should they. I would not, if I were in their position. The Owl Club has stepped up quite a bit in the last few years (one of those changes that has been made), but expecting the Owl Club to produce the kinds of revenues we need is pretty unrealistic. The program is going to have to generate significantly increased operating revenues, in a conference that provides probably $20 million less per year than the league that we could have been in had we been willing to make the investment 25 years ago.

I don't think some unicorn is going to show up and fart the money we need all over the program. Failing that, this is the only way that we can go. I think for most universities, if they got something like this, the conversation would be almost exclusively about what a great opportunity this is. I am starting to think that the only place where it would produce this kind of reaction is Rice. And maybe that's exactly what's wrong with the program.

I don't know how to engage in reasonable discussion with people who refuse to accept facts.

You're explanation of the harsh reality of the current state of the athletic program is beyond disappointing. I had been lead to believe we were well past these days. Looks like it really is it's just a matter of time til it's over.
12-10-2016 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Season-opening Stanford Football Game Moved to Sydney, Australia??? - BufflOwl - 12-10-2016 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.