Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rhoades vs Rice basketball Thread
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
RE: Rhoades/ 2016 Rice basketball Thread
(03-24-2019 09:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I tend to think that a good NCAA rule would be if a coach changes schools, he/she can't recruit anyone from his/her old school.

That sounds like a reasonable accommodation in light of the way things are set up now. Although it was "within the rules" I am disappointed that Coach Rhodes chose to go this route. When hired, he didn't seem like the kind of guy who was that much an opportunist.

Funny, seems when we get a decent coach, he's too much a mercenary, or maybe I should say too soon a mercenary, since, as you have stated before with the Boise State example, it would be fine to lose a successful coach every three or four years in a sport and then repeat while moving up in success and stature. Easier said than done.

For Rhoades, I gave him a pass because it was obvious that if the VCU job came open, that was his home and familiar territory, with a much more moderate climate to boot (Houston weather can be hard for some.) So, I could not blame him for leaving for that job, but if it was some other I might have held a grudge, as some here clearly do (and that is their prerogative--I've got little problem with that.) And I did like Rhoades' overall style of preparation and offseason conditioning, which I think was sorely needed. Then again, I liked Wayne Graham, and he was certainl6y not the "gentlest" coach out there. So far, I like Coach pera, and think he is doing some of what Rhoades did not--his athletes seem so far more interested in the school itself, and I will admit being very disappointed that so many of the previous two Coaches' students did not.

Many coaches today recruit to themselves more than their schools. The system really could stand to address this in some proactive way that would be beneficial for the students than the annual transfer-a-palooza. I don't see too many of our former players that it has worked out for better--though there have been a couple (and I'm not talking about those who got their degrees and chose to move on for a last year of eligibility.)

Overall, I think the system is set up to use and dispose of most of these kids and that is a shame, and something Rice has tried in the past not to do. I want us to win, and win big, and I do believe there is a way we can do so within the confines of our academics. I'll probably never be very warm to a milquetoast-type coach on campus, though I understand from reading others' opinions that some seem to think that is about the only type of coach that can be successful here as far as graduating student-athletes. I like a little fire in the () belly.

As to Rhoades and Evans, I liked the way they played the game, and found them very entertaining while here, especially after what came before. But I also enjoyed many of the players this season, and hope they and Coaches Pera and Langley stay around to get us over the NCAA humps before moving on (in Coach Langley's case, if we pay her, I don;t see why she'd have as much reason to go--she can get to the Dance and recruit here. Only if she misses moderate weather would she possibly leave then.
03-25-2019 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rhoades/ 2016 Rice basketball Thread - GoodOwl - 03-25-2019 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.