Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rhoades vs Rice basketball Thread
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 2016 Rice basketball Season Thread
(02-14-2017 07:06 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Rick - if the same problem persists after 10 years under Coach Rhoades, than you may have a point. But as you well know, Rhoades has only been here for two recruiting seasons, so we are not at that point yet. Of course, you know this and are just trolling the folks who do not like Bailiff's approach.

edit - maybe my comment wasn't entirely fair. If you are saying that you think the team has a true point guard that could improve the assist/turnover issue who just isn't playing enough, or is playing out of position, then your point is valid. I think the problem is that the correct player just needs experience, or we need another 1-2 recruiting cycles to develop a balanced team. Those have more to do with the tenure of the coach, not the quality of the coaching decisions. But my opinion remains that you are just intentionally trolling folks. And this coming from a guy who has used the "haven't beaten anyone with a pulse" phrase about Rice basketball!

I make tongue in cheek remarks, absolutely. I never make them with serious intent.

Some commented here that our basketball team is young. That can happen to a program at any point in time 3 years or 10. It's acceptable for Rhoades (for some), but not for Bailiff. Same with injuries (last year for Rhoades). Youth and injuries are not functions of how long a coach has been in place, it's a function of the age of the players starting, and the number of injuries you have, as well as who they happen to. If you're thin at a position, you're thin at a position.

One poster's frequent criticism of the football team's under Bailiff (actually quoting about Texas State a decade ago): "His teams play hard but are undisciplined"

A basketball team that hustles but has lots of turnovers and misses free throws could easily meet that definition.

A lot of posters want change in football. After 10 years, that happens.
But Bailiff caught grief in 2007, 2009 as well.

I think Rhoades is a good coach. I think he eventually will produce the results that people here are expecting. But if we have the same ups and downs as we've had in football, for whatever reasons, it wouldn't shock me either.

In the meantime, I'm getting used to seeing the same basic situations in two different sports garnering two different sets of reactions. 2008 and 2012-2014 in football gets dismissed quite easily. And we've had Nichols State caliber losses in basketball.

I get that it's year 3 and year 10. I just wish the general tone from a few of the folks wanting change in football were - - - couched a bit differently. Regardless of whether Bailiff stays or goes, some of the criticisms have been unfair. He's the coach, so he gets the unfair with the fair. But that should apply to all the coaches.
02-14-2017 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2016 Rice basketball Season Thread - Rick Gerlach - 02-14-2017 08:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.