Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AP poll out
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: AP poll out
(11-04-2015 02:23 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  Where I think we disagree a bit is, I feel the question of who has a better season, is a different matter than who has the better team. Obviously I would rather have my team lose in the championship game than make an early exit in the tournament. But in our earlier example who's to say Villanova wouldn't have been a final four team if they had been in a different bracket than UCONN, just as Kentucky or Florida could have been eliminated in the round of 32, if they had played UCONN at that time. Personally, I think playoffs and tournaments in all sports simply provide a snapshot of who's playing best at that particular moment, and are not necessarily a measure of the best overall team. A few years back a 10-6 wild card NY Giants beat an undefeated Patriots team in the Super Bowl. The Giants had the more successful season, but were certainly not the best team. This happens all the time, the 2011 Phillies won 102 games and had that amazing pitching staff, but lost to a wild card Cardinals team that then went on to win the World Series. No question the Phillies were a better team, but didn't have as successful a year as the Cardinals. The best team doesn't always win.

Also, the preseason rankings don't concern me. There are plenty of examples of a team getting no recognition in the pre season, and then having a good run in the Maui Invitational or some other tournament and getting a good ranking pretty quick. If we beat some good teams in our OOC games early this season, the recognition will come. If Georgetown beats Maryland, and then beats Wisconsin in the seasons third game, they will likely be a top 10 team in the first rankings to come out after that, even though they're not ranked now.

The thing is, most fans, and even a LOT of the media do view things in the lens of who had the better season rather than in the lens of who had the better team. Also, pro sports and college sports a lot different in that in pro's there is at most 32 teams. College there's 351 basketball teams. Personally, I've always looked at things at who has had the better season. I guess part of that was the crazy mid 80's in college basketball. Think Georgetown/Villanova 1985. Georgetown isn't viewed anywhere near as well as Villanova from that year- because of the tourney final. But Georgetown was #1. And St John's is almost totally forgotten from that year.

As far as your example with Georgetown this year. If we beat Maryland and Wisconsin- but then lose to Duke(the final of the 2k classic)- we won't be in the top 10. Probably in the 20ish range I would think.

The problem outside Georgetown, Villanova(who does have a LOT coming back, no matter what Gumby says), Butler, and Xavier- (and even there- Butler, Xavier did have some big losses)- a LOT of youth this year. It's going to take some time for these teams to gel. I think it's a situation where year end- would absolutely HATE to play any of the teams- but those teams won't get in the tourney because of all the early season losses that they're going to take just due to all the youth they're playing.
11-04-2015 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
AP poll out - stever20 - 10-15-2015, 11:08 AM
RE: Coaches poll out - gosports1 - 10-15-2015, 10:49 PM
RE: Coaches poll out - stever20 - 10-16-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: Coaches poll out - stever20 - 11-02-2015, 01:46 PM
RE: AP poll out - GoldenWarrior11 - 11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-02-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: AP poll out - hoops22 - 11-03-2015, 03:35 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-03-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-03-2015, 04:01 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: AP poll out - hoops22 - 11-04-2015, 02:23 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-04-2015 02:37 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: AP poll out - stever20 - 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.