Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transformation vs Incrementalism
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Exclamation RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism
(11-03-2018 08:00 PM)ruowls Wrote:  
(11-03-2018 06:06 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  We are still trying to put square pegs in round holes. I understand what Bloomgren wants to do, and he could get the talent to do it at Stanford. I'm not sure he can ever recruit what needs to do that at Rice. I don't see the dominant offensive linemen, or the feature running back, or the 4*/5* passing quarterback coming here. Keep in mind that he got to Stanford after David Shaw replaced Jim Harbaugh, so the talent pipeline was already in pretty full flow there. Here there isn't much in that regard, and I don't really know what we have to offer to land those talents.

I still think we are going to have to do something contrarian on offense, do something to get more speed on the field defensively, and upgrade the kicking game even further. I think we really have to ask how long we can use "pound the rock" as our signature strategy.

Bloomgren is well connected to some pretty big names in the coaching profession. I hope he picks their brains to figure out a different approach.

You are seeing Stanford hubris at its finest. Stanford was fortunate that Harbaugh panned out. They whiffed with Teevens and Harris before him. Their decision makers brought in Harbaugh to run the Pro style football you see today. Shaw came in as his OC with NFL coaching. Stanford has a long history of this with a few exceptions (Elway, Teevens, Harris). Ralston, Christiansen, Wiggin, Walsh, Green, and Willingham all had some NFL ties. Stanford also endowed coaching positions.
So Rice’s Stanford AD goes out and implements the Stanford model. He brings in a Stanford OC that has NFL coaching experience to be “Stanford”. This combination coupled with a Stanford connected Rice donor got the HC position endowed. I am sure that many Rice supporters thought they hit pay dirt by getting JK, MB, and an endowed coaching position. This all looks great. Someone brought up an article that showed football spending to wins expected. Rice actually spent at a level in the top of the G5. Rice wins to spending was well below what was to be expected. Boise was far and away the best at getting bang for their buck. And then Rice supporters get duped into believing Rice is a total rebuild and Rice has to just give this all time. Well Stanford got rid of Teevens and Harris after 2 years each. Teevens has the third worst winning percentage and Harris has the worst in Stanford football history. Stanford obviously corrected course when it was not working. Let’s see what happens at Rice.
I honestly hate the Rice has no talent excuse. There is enough talent to play with FBS teams. Maybe not all but the majority of them. We all have opinions of the importance of athletic talent but there is talent at Rice. It isn’t all recruiting and it isn’t all coaching. It is a blending of the two.
I guess I have ranted enough.

See what happens at Rice?
12-05-2022 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Transformation vs Incrementalism - GoodOwl - 01-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Transformation vs Incrementalism - chrisc - 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM
RE: Transformation vs Incrementalism - GoodOwl - 12-05-2022 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.